18 pound Redfoot not eating. "Yawning."

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've only had my two jumbo female Redfoot torts for a couple of weeks now and this one used to eat well, but spend the day pretty much just staring into the corner, while the other one ran laps around the pen and yard.
This is the largest of my females and she drinks water, but she hasn't eaten in two or three days.
Not eating for a few days is not uncommon. I know this. However, she is also doing something I've never seen before. She seems to yawn every now and then. (never seen these together) She also sleeps a lot.
I'm pretty sure that there is nothing stuck in her throat. That was my first thought. Has anyone had this combination of not eating with yawning?
It's very likely that the two are unrelated. I'm just curious and would like to make sure that I do anything I can to help out.
Today I'm giving them Mazuri with dandelion greens and bell pepper ground up in it. If that doesn't flip her switch, plan B is some extra smelly cat food...
Thanks

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't have red flats so you can take this for what it's worth. Do you think the one that's not eating now and staring into the corner is being bullied by the other one? I have read here on the forum that yawning may be a sign of respiratory problems. Hopefully some more experienced people will come along soon.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
No. Never bullied. She has a large area of her own with a private pool and house. The others seldom walk over there and she seldom ventures outside of her "area". Her eyes are clear and she makes no vocalizations at all.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
She could be getting ready to lay. My reds yawn all the time so I wouldn't worry about that unless there's other RI warning signs.

Give her a good soak and try the food again

Turtlepete

South Florida
As long as there isn't any unusual noises/grunts accompanying the "yawning" then it isn't an issue. They yawn all the time. The two females simply have different ways of acclimating to their new life. Try some things like baked sweet potato, papaya, mushy strawberries, banana, etc., and give the pen a good misting/rain for 10 minutes or so prior to feeding.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
She is still in a separate pen and I've been using my misting system 4xdaily. Yesterday I tried stinky cat food and then fresh plain Mazuri. She didn't even look at it and keeps walking back into her house to sleep. No noises. She walks around, drinks and then pulls her head and arms in and sleeps.
I'll get a sweet potato today and bake it for tomorrow. Thanks.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
I'd try to worm her and then see what happens. She may have the start of a RI possibly caused by parasites.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I do periodic treatments of Diatomacious Earth mixed in the food and all have tested negative since I started this. Also, I had the two new females checked out by the sellers vet. Fecal test and blood test.
Thanks, though. It it could be the case. She has no outward signs of being sick and is very strong.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is as long as any of my tortoises have ever gone without eating. It's been one week. She gets out of her house, walks around and swims and soaks. ...a LOT!
I have a new vet. Broward avian and exotic. If she doesn't eat by Thursday I'm gonna make an appointment......At least I know she is well hydrated.

Attachments

• 20150419_162709.jpg
    20150419_162709.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
No. Not yet. She seems to be searching for something. Sniffing the ground. So far she hasn't eaten her food.
Like I said, she IS alert and drinking and moving around.
Hopefully soon. Before we go to the new vet.
Thanks.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
She may be in pre-nesting mode but then she would be pacing the enclosure by now if that were the case. At least I would think so.
A couple of my big females have been somewhat inactive during this heat wave (with no rain) too, but they are eating every other day-- or third day.
An X-ray at the vet's office might reveal something of interest though.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
I'll report on my visit to the vet and let others know how my experience went.

Thanks, it'll be interesting to see what he believes to be the cause or causes of her behavior.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes. Sorry. I've got this spread over a few different threads now.o_O
The vet (SHE) did blood work and x-rays and checked her heart and checked for a parasite load and a physical exam and concluded that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. No blockages or eggs. In fact, she is 100% empty. Makes sense.
Except that I'm $300 lighter, I'm back where I was before. However, at least I know that she isn't contagious.
I had no idea that a Redfoot could go three months without eating and that I was over reacting at 2.5 weeks.
We're entering into our rainy season here in sunny south Florida and all of my other RF are chowing down like pigs.
I feed her both together with the other girls and alone out in the yard and I've tried every type of food you could imagine, both in plates and dumped on the ground. Even crazy food and combinations. Still, she won't even look at most of it and hasn't taken a bite.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
However, at least I know that she isn't contagious.

Actually, you don't know this for sure. She could be carrying-- and exposing your other animals to Internuclear coccidiosis or herpes or even something else that doesn't appear on regular screenings.
Play it safe...separate her ASAP.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
She came from a group of over 45 with her sister.
I think that it may be the solitude that is causing the distress.
She Was breeding stock for nine years and fed garbage.
Now she's a pampered pet.
Thanks. She is still being isolated because any food I lay down the other girls eat it.