1600 Gallon turtle pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
found some pics of my parents pond and thought I'd share them since that seems to be the theme for the day :D

This is the best pic I have of the whole thing. It was already there when they moved in and was strictly a koi pond. What you cant really see in this picture is that its L-shaped in the back right (behind all those lillies and verbena, sorry took this a few months ago and wasnt thinking about posting it). Presumably the previous owners used the L as a place to put aquatic plants (its about 18" deep as opposed too 3' in the rest of the pond). To convert the pond for turtles dad dropped the overflow pipe so that the water is too far below the edge of the liner for escape (which looks sort of bad I guess but necessary) then filled in the L part by building a box that fit in the space and filling it with sand/dirt. The box is about 2"x3" and they have a little "island" made out of an overturned pot with some rocks cemented to it.

The island with Tilman on it (RES)

My mom is a school teacher and has a 40 gal aquatic set up in her classroom and she sort of raises pond turtles for her friends in it. Every other year or so someone will bring her a little guy that they rescued or are afraid to put outdoors yet and she'll keep it until its too big for her set up then give it back or put it in this pond. Right now it only has two occupants. Tillman the RES and Steven the river cooter (plus some koi)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Glad you guys like it! I visited my parents over the weekend and Dad decided it was my job to jump in and help him clear the muck off the bottom. I suppose an afternoon spent waist deep in pond water is worth it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.