15 day old turtle Dad, scared of the upcoming winter

MyTensJMR

Location (City and/or State)
New York
5402F4E1-01BF-46FC-9E62-78D15836E320.jpeg 3B34927E-72E1-490F-A1D2-D64364B56C84.jpeg 2933821B-92A2-47D6-BCF6-1C13DC6AEC22.jpeg Hey guys my name is Paul. Have me a baby sully I just purchased for my 9 year olds bday, October 2nd...
Living in New York the winter will be here fast. Temperature dropped in the matter of days out here. So, looking at some of Tom’s great set ups I ran out an built an enclosure today.
Just trying to get this set up as fast as I can. I Went away for four days unexpectedly an when I came home this Monday, I noticed the little guy not eating or moving like I was use to.
Joined the forum last night an found that I was wildly uninformed. Lot of great info got him through the night an started moving around today. So, happy.
I gave him baby food bath pumped up the heat an he’s looking good. BTW the aluminum foil trick was clutch. Lol..
Just wondering if I need to do anything extra then what most do because of my location??

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome read the care threads and always keep in mind that your enclosure will need to maintain humidity. Also daily soaks for 20 to 30 min and don't let the water cool down. Happy torting.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum!

No need to be afraid of Old Man Winter. Your lil Sully is way too young to worry about Winter, about snow or cold. It needs a nice fully closed up enclosure, toasty warm, nice and humid, a lil sunken watering dish, lots of grass, weeds, to munch on, and some nice moist substrate to dig and crawl about.

Soaking in warm water daily, food, water, humidity and lighting. A nice dark warm humid hide sleep and rest in. No fruit, no sand, no snow!

It’s all here - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Good Luck.

MyTensJMR

New York
Hey Paul! Welcome! That's a cute tort you have. Glad you found the forum and have been reading up. If you tell us what your temperatures and humidity are and what kind of lights/heat source you have we can help. Also what substrate are you using and how's the diet? You probably already found this caresheet but just in case...
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/
Being as though I’ve only had him for a couple weeks I had him in a small 10 gallon tank..I have a 20 watt Fluorescent UVB/UVA bulb and a 60 watt ceramic infrared.. Have been able to maintain the heat around 80 but the humidity was only around 40. Now that I put the aluminum foil over the tank it’s about 90/70, right now.
Ive only fed him kale, spring mix and Spinach with calcium sprinkled twice a week. I do just get him Oct 2.. I’ve been using reptile bark as a substrate, which I now know isn’t suitable.
I was away for a few days with my son while the girls where home. Monday evening, when I arrived home I noticed his food bowl kind of full. Not knowing how much they fed him I didn’t think anything of it. Next morning changed his water while he slept, came home that evening an he was still in the same spot I left him along with his food.
Tuesday night I joined the forum, pumped his heat up, gave him a long hot bath, an he woke up yesterday moving an ate a little. Gave him a baby food bath, an ran out to start building.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I use cypress mulch from home depot and coconut coir that I buy online. There are many substrates to use with the coconut coir but the coir to me helps hold the moisture. I also put some orchid moss where Opo sleeps. Also bought at home depot

MyTensJMR

New York
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum!

No need to be afraid of Old Man Winter. Your lil Sully is way too young to worry about Winter, about snow or cold. It needs a nice fully closed up enclosure, toasty warm, nice and humid, a lil sunken watering dish, lots of grass, weeds, to munch on, and some nice moist substrate to dig and crawl about.

Soaking in warm water daily, food, water, humidity and lighting. A nice dark warm humid hide sleep and rest in. No fruit, no sand, no snow!

It’s all here - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Good Luck.
I use cypress mulch from home depot and coconut coir that I buy online. There are many substrates to use with the coconut coir but the coir to me helps hold the moisture. I also put some orchid moss where Opo sleeps. Also bought at home depot
now how often do you change the substrate?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
  • Being as though I’ve only had him for a couple weeks I had him in a small 10 gallon tank..I have a 20 watt Fluorescent UVB/UVA bulb and a 60 watt ceramic infrared.. Have been able to maintain the heat around 80 but the humidity was only around 40. Now that I put the aluminum foil over the tank it’s about 90/70, right now.
Ive only fed him kale, spring mix and Spinach with calcium sprinkled twice a week. I do just get him Oct 2.. I’ve been using reptile bark as a substrate, which I now know isn’t suitable.
I was away for a few days with my son while the girls where home. Monday evening, when I arrived home I noticed his food bowl kind of full. Not knowing how much they fed him I didn’t think anything of it. Next morning changed his water while he slept, came home that evening an he was still in the same spot I left him along with his food.
Tuesday night I joined the forum, pumped his heat up, gave him a long hot bath, an he woke up yesterday moving an ate a little. Gave him a baby food bath, an ran out to start building.

• Just be very careful with temperatures “around” 80. 80F should be your absolute low ambient. Mare sure you are measuring at tortoise level, all over. 77 isnt good, etc. Get a proper IR digital temp gun (HD or Lowesj and a few digital thermometer gauges with remote sensor so you know exactly what the temps are. Crucial to get temps where they need to be. Make sure you are using a thermostat on your CHE.
  • From Tom’s Sully Care Sheet: Heating and Lighting:
    I use a 65 watt incandescent flood bulb on a 12 hour timer and adjust the height of the fixture to get a hot spot of around 100 directly under the bulb. Then I use a ceramic heating element set to 80 degrees on a reptile thermostat to maintain my ambient temperature in the enclosure. Sometimes the basking lamp raises the day time ambient into the low 90s. "Ambient should be no lower than 80, but drifting up to 90 during the heat of the day is good…" This is fine and the thermostat will keep your CHE off during these times, but ready to click on after the basking lamp clicks off and the ambient temperature starts to drop at night. I use long florescent tubes when I want to brighten up the whole enclosure and I run these on the same timer as the basking bulb. The above are just what works for me and are suggestions for what might work for you. Every enclosure and home is different, and some customization will usually be necessary to get things "just right".

Good luck, it sounds like you are on the right track!

MyTensJMR

New York
I have to do a serious Home Depot run. I built this last night. It’s 3ft * 4ft an 20 inches high. I’m going to silicone the whole box along with the plexy glass later today an let it dry.. Besides that I have absolutely nothing.
Honestly please treat me like a five year old...lol... Please...
Between reading threads with any free time I have, an trying to get this built ASAP, an him not acting the way he was last week, I’d like to just get specific details as to what you would do with this size enclosure. Figuring I just need to get it started an then I can go through trial an error moving forward. so I get the piece of mind know he’s okay.
Just a worried father of three obsessing over his new baby. Lol0E8B80DB-C25D-4152-9747-1BE893075F07.jpeg0E7FB31D-9BFB-4C63-B479-03A462D814F3.jpeg

MyTensJMR

New York
  • Just be very careful with temperatures “around” 80. 80F should be your absolute low ambient. Mare sure you are measuring at tortoise level, all over. 77 isnt good, etc. Get a proper IR digital temp gun (HD or Lowesj and a few digital thermometer gauges with remote sensor so you know exactly what the temps are. Crucial to get temps where they need to be. Make sure you are using a thermostat on your CHE.
  • From Tom’s Sully Care Sheet: Heating and Lighting:
    I use a 65 watt incandescent flood bulb on a 12 hour timer and adjust the height of the fixture to get a hot spot of around 100 directly under the bulb. Then I use a ceramic heating element set to 80 degrees on a reptile thermostat to maintain my ambient temperature in the enclosure. Sometimes the basking lamp raises the day time ambient into the low 90s. "Ambient should be no lower than 80, but drifting up to 90 during the heat of the day is good…" This is fine and the thermostat will keep your CHE off during these times, but ready to click on after the basking lamp clicks off and the ambient temperature starts to drop at night. I use long florescent tubes when I want to brighten up the whole enclosure and I run these on the same timer as the basking bulb. The above are just what works for me and are suggestions for what might work for you. Every enclosure and home is different, and some customization will usually be necessary to get things "just right".

Good luck, it sounds like you are on the right track!
Thanks for the info on that IR gun. Definitely adding that to the shopping list now.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have to do a serious Home Depot run. I built this last night. It’s 3ft * 4ft an 20 inches high. I’m going to silicone the whole box along with the plexy glass later today an let it dry.. Besides that I have absolutely nothing.
Between reading threads with any free time I have, an trying to get this built ASAP, an him not acting the way he was last week, I’d like to just get specific details as to what you would do with this size enclosure. Figuring I just need to get it started an then I can go through trial an error moving forward. so I get the piece of mind know he’s okay.
Just a worried father of three obsessing over his new baby. LolView attachment 254492View attachment 254493
I haven't built one yet. Will need to start soon. My options are a little different living in Florida. Look at @Tom enclosures seems many members copy or play off of his.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
I didn't read the whole entire text, but you bought this for your 9 year old? Are you sure he will be gentle? My sister is 10 she is gentle, so im sure that he will be gentle. Im sure you have decided to care for it then?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
now how often do you change the substrate?
I am always picking up scraps of food and do spot removals ( where Opo eats, sleeps and one general area where Opo pees.) Opo never poops in the enclosure. Saves that for soaks and when grazing outdoors. Other than that I do a complete cleaning every 4 months. Not sure if that's ok but it seems to be working for me.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Just a worried father of three obsessing over his new baby. LolView attachment 254492View attachment 254493

Is your enclosure going to be in a heated/warm room inside your house?

When I built our Sullys enclosure,
  • I used KILZ on all of the interior wood that would be subjected to high humidity. Air dried for a few weeks.
  • Then on the floor, I lined it with very thick (3 or 5 mil) plastic, doubled over. I had the plastic wrap up the interior 4 sides about 4 or 6 inches. Stapled the edges. Then, took some 1x1 trim and put that all around the edges of the plastic to make a firm edge. Looks finished, no rough/unsightly edges.
  • For substrate, used a combo of things - 100% cypress mulch, peat moss, coco coir.
  • Humid hide - large black tupperware type container, flipped over, tossed the lid, made an entrance just large enough for sully to go in and exit.
  • Water and feed bowls - terra cotta saucers from Walmart garden section
  • Lighting - small incandescent bulb for some light, then one for bright basking light, and florescdnt Reptisun type bulb.
  • Heat - ceramic heating element hung in the center of the enclosure. Hooked to a LLReptile thermostat.
  • Depending on your situation, you might be able to use an Radiant Heat Panel. (Check ReptileBasics)
Good luck...hope that helps.

MyTensJMR

New York
I didn't read the whole entire text, but you bought this for your 9 year old? Are you sure he will be gentle? My sister is 10 she is gentle, so im sure that he will be gentle. Im sure you have decided to care for it then?
My 9 year old daughter. She started showing a huge interest in reptiles. When she began to give me details on how tort’s where taken care I was impressed. When she followed it up with info on snakes and dragons I knew she was hooked. I had the same passion when I was young just did not the means to own as much as I’d like growing up. So I jumped right on it.

MyTensJMR

New York
I am always picking up scraps of food and do spot removals ( where Opo eats, sleeps and one general area where Opo pees.) Opo never poops in the enclosure. Saves that for soaks and when grazing outdoors. Other than that I do a complete cleaning every 4 months. Not sure if that's ok but it seems to be working for me.
Nice. He’s so small it’s tuff to see the turds. I do notice all types of bubbles when I soak him though. Can’t thank you guys enough for responding back. Truly means a lot.

MyTensJMR

New York
Is your enclosure going to be in a heated/warm room inside your house?

When I built our Sullys enclosure,
  • I used KILZ on all of the interior wood that would be subjected to high humidity. Air dried for a few weeks.
  • Then on the floor, I lined it with very thick (3 or 5 mil) plastic, doubled over. I had the plastic wrap up the interior 4 sides about 4 or 6 inches. Stapled the edges. Then, took some 1x1 trim and put that all around the edges of the plastic to make a firm edge. Looks finished, no rough/unsightly edges.
  • For substrate, used a combo of things - 100% cypress mulch, peat moss, coco coir.
  • Humid hide - large black tupperware type container, flipped over, tossed the lid, made an entrance just large enough for sully to go in and exit.
  • Water and feed bowls - terra cotta saucers from Walmart garden section
  • Lighting - small incandescent bulb for some light, then one for bright basking light, and florescdnt Reptisun type bulb.
  • Heat - ceramic heating element hung in the center of the enclosure. Hooked to a LLReptile thermostat.
  • Depending on your situation, you might be able to use an Radiant Heat Panel. (Check ReptileBasics)
Good luck...hope that helps.
Bear all this info is right on to what I need. So awesome.
An Yes, it will be in a walk in closet in the center of the house where no walls are exterior walls.
I actually laced the floor with a board used to insulate walls around a shower before tiling. I’m going to silicone all the edges down.. Not sure how that will work though?? Cause I have extra an was debating on lining the three remaining walls. Just not sure how the walls would do in the heat. I’m going with the substrate down heat wont be directly on the floor.
Another question not sure if anyone has delt with, while wiring. Should I be housing a electric box inside of the enclosure to plug in lights or should the box be outside??
Funny you say radiant heat cause I do have a system set up for my bathroom which is the next room over.. I know I can gain access to that as well.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Bear all this info is right on to what I need. So awesome.
An Yes, it will be in a walk in closet in the center of the house where no walls are exterior walls.
I actually laced the floor with a board used to insulate walls around a shower before tiling. I’m going to silicone all the edges down.. Not sure how that will work though?? Cause I have extra an was debating on lining the three remaining walls. Just not sure how the walls would do in the heat. I’m going with the substrate down heat wont be directly on the floor.
Another question not sure if anyone has delt with, while wiring. Should I be housing a electric box inside of the enclosure to plug in lights or should the box be outside??
Funny you say radiant heat cause I do have a system set up for my bathroom which is the next room over.. I know I can gain access to that as well.

On the one enclosure I built i installed three of these ceramic light fixtures. The ceramic bit on the inside of the enclosure, with the plastic electrical box outside (with the wires).

One held a small 40 w bulb, one a CHE and the other a basking bulb.

Ceramic Light Fixture

19FA42F5-1FFD-4E04-9AED-FF0C007A6F04.jpeg

With the box on top..holding the wires.

03EF0024-8E0D-4660-B39E-FD418727EB9B.jpeg

Emily Contreras

Arizona
My 9 year old daughter. She started showing a huge interest in reptiles. When she began to give me details on how tort’s where taken care I was impressed. When she followed it up with info on snakes and dragons I knew she was hooked. I had the same passion when I was young just did not the means to own as much as I’d like growing up. So I jumped right on it.

Good for you! When I was 10 I used to go catch lizards and then release them in my backyard, I got my first snake when I was 12.
I bet you daughter will grow up a reptile lover!

MyTensJMR

New York
On the one enclosure I built i installed three of these ceramic light fixtures. The ceramic bit on the inside of the enclosure, with the plastic electrical box outside (with the wires).

One held a small 40 w bulb, one a CHE and the other a basking bulb.

Ceramic Light Fixture

View attachment 254592

With the box on top..holding the wires.

View attachment 254593
So you pretty much ran bx cable or a row max from the ceramic fixture straight outside the box... interesting