125gallon set up *PICS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
WOW!!! BEAUTIFUL set up!! It's going to be GREAT!!! :).

And I whole heartedly agree with RedfootsRule about the live plants. I have often kept fresh water aquariums- my biggest was 70 gal. You stick in fertilizer pellets, add plants and no worries. Easy-peasy, and they look so great. (You do need to pinch off the mature leaves that simply die because they're old, but that's a snap) I never kept salt water tanks (but you did, right?) because they seemed too complicated. Believe me, if live aquarium plants were easy for me, it'll be a piece of cake for you!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
mike taylor said:
Thats a nice set up but are you using a uvb/uva lamp if so good job that is cool you are going the extra mile for the kids you will turn the kids into reptile lovers for the future and maybe when the turtle out grows the enclosure or needs a new home one of the kids could take care of it that is how i got my first snake thank god for teachers like you

Yes I have 2 UV bulbs on top. I also have a basking light and a CHE :)

And I'm not a teacher ;) Just an animal enthusiast who sets up and maintains animal set ups for others :)

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
very nice set up I am sure the children will love it. I am partial to common
musk turtles they are like little submarines, I have two in my tank with
map turtles and so far they have got along fine.
I have tried live plants and my turtles just tear them up but defiantly worth a try. I also have not had good luck with sand as a substrate, My neighbor has
a filter like yours in his 200 gal. cichlid tank and just loves it.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Heather, that's just beautiful! Over the years, I've set up tanks for my aquatic turtle, but she'd always destroyed her basking setup. The stones look heavy enough, but my turtle would knock it over. And, I always had to be afraid that one of those stones would crack the tank. She was super strong even though she weights about 5 lbs. So, she's now 25 years old, and lost some of that strength, I hope. I may try doing something like that, except I would have to use stones, not sand. Great job!!!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
oscar said:
I also have not had good luck with sand as a substrate,

I'd love to know what you mean by not having good luck.

Have you had impaction problems? Hard to keep clean? etc... Please, if you dont mind :)

sibi said:
The stones look heavy enough, but my turtle would knock it over. And, I always had to be afraid that one of those stones would crack the tank. She was super strong even though she weights about 5 lbs.

whoa, what type of monster turtle is this? please dont say it was a common res. lol

these stones are from a masonry and so heavy its insane. it took a few combinations before i found a stack that was sturdy to my hand shaking it.. it better hold up to what a turtle can dish out!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
She's a reeves turtle, and she's now 25 years old. I use to call her a "home wrecker" because she'd destroy everything I've ever done to make her home pleasing to me. I guess that was the problem. Anyway, I got tired of making her home pretty. I even used epoxy glue to seal all the stones together. I remembered doing a dance when she couldn't move the stones. I said, "I win...you lose!" Haha. The next morning, the stones were down, separated, and all over the tank. I was defeated once again by my turtle monster. I should show you what she looks like. You'd never believe it.

Team Gomberg said:
oscar said:

Have you had impaction problems? Hard to keep clean? etc... Please, if you dont mind :)

sibi said:
The stones look heavy enough, but my turtle would knock it over. And, I always had to be afraid that one of those stones would crack the tank. She was super strong even though she weights about 5 lbs.

whoa, what type of monster turtle is this? please dont say it was a common res. lol

these stones are from a masonry and so heavy its insane. it took a few combinations before i found a stack that was sturdy to my hand shaking it.. it better hold up to what a turtle can dish out!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Team Gomberg said:

And I'm not a teacher ;) Just an animal enthusiast who sets up and maintains animal set ups for others :)

You say your not a teacher yes you are but you don't know it you build these tanks for whom ever and your teaching them about turtles one kid or more will take this info. And take it further than you and may become someone that can or will teach another i wish i had the time to do what your doing but i work way to much

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
mike taylor said:
Team Gomberg said:

You say your not a teacher yes you are but you don't know it you build these tanks for whom ever and your teaching them about turtles one kid or more will take this info. And take it further than you and may become someone that can or will teach another i wish i had the time to do what your doing but i work way to much

thank you for the compliment.

:)

p.s.

Gerards, a member here on TFO from Florida is sending us an albino RES to start up our tank :) He should be arriving in the mail on Tuesday morning. Once he is set up I'll share lots of pictures!!

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Team Gomberg said:
oscar said:

Have not had impaction problems but the turtles for me always tear up
plants and when I have used sand they would stir it up which kept the water cloudy and to much
sand would end up in my filter and using marineland magnum canister filters
which have there impeller magnet on the bottom of filter were sand would sit and wear out magnet and plastic it would sit in. So any more I don't use
any substrate on the bottom of tanks, doesn't look good but easy to maintain.

sibi said:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your welcome and thanks for doing what you do more people need to do what you did here with the turtle tank with snakes so they don't kill them due to them being scared education is every thing when it comes to reptiles

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
We just got shipment confirmation!

Our little Albino RES from Gerards in FL is on his way :)

Update to follow once he is happy in his new home!!

Status
Not open for further replies.