125gallon set up *PICS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
For many months I have been planning the set up of a 125 gallon tank for aquatic turtles.
This is my first turtle set up and I'm excited for it!

It's on a small wall in a classroom. This classroom is for a Special Needs Ministry with children ages 2-6years old.

I set it up yesterday. Then today took some cycled water from the 125 gallon goldfish tank I have in the classroom next door and added that to the new tank with 3 small feeders. I'm going to continue using some of the fish water to hopefully cycle this tank a little quicker.
We'll see how that goes :)

Here is the set up. I still have tweaking to do with temps and other specifics once I figure out what turtles we will go with. That'll be a fun part. Suggestions on choices welcome!

Here is the view from the classroom door where parents and children arrive!
65coev.jpg

The back view. This side faces a kids computer area.
I have double doors for a storage/shelving area and the single door houses the fluval fx5 BEAST of a filter if I must say!
wlvpjt.jpg

The basking area was tricky. Took alot of rock combinations before I had one that met all the requirements. It had to be away from all the glass for cleaning purposes, not trap any pockets of stagnant water that will destroy water quality, balance, sturdy, right height for a good basking temp! Finally did it and I like it. There is actually a layer of rock below the sand. I started directly on the glass then filled the sand around it. I didn't want it to shift if I siphoned sand out from around the base.
2dvueeu.jpg

dbi4pt.jpg

The end of the tank. We used silica sand as the substrate. Cosmetics of the tanks are very important to the Ministry Director so this was our best option. River rock, too dirty and gravel too ugly. bare bottom out of the question lol
2qs4aae.jpg

30msw0g.jpg

This drift wood actually made a great cave. I had the bubble disc buried to the left of that plant but it wouldn't stay buried under the sand. So, for now at least, I put it in the cave and hid it with rocks. Looks better than the exposed disc but I loose the function of the hiding spot.. so I'll figure something out eventually..
xdv9zb.jpg

The end with the filter intake, output and water heater
2q3ulg9.jpg

the cool plant
s47793.jpg

I think that's it for now. I'll be checking it daily for awhile to monitor it. Plus I'll be doing partial water changes with the fish water for cycling.
Then.....the turtles!

Thanks for looking.

Feedback welcome!

I'd have preferred the top wood "hood" was black to match the tank's bottom rim... maybe someday it will be.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Very, very nice. Why not try some live plants though (or are my eyes deceiving me and those are real?)? And what turtles is it getting stocked with :)?!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm afraid to do live plants!!! That is silly if you knew that I used to care live corals and reef tanks. But its been about 5 years since I did that and dont know if Im ready to get back into live decor. Especially for a classroom tank and not my own "in home" tank.

I have a 10 gallon at home that I'm hesitant to use live plants in. *embarrased* Maybe once I brave to do my 10 and realize I can handle it.... well.. we'll see LOL

I've been talking with a lady from my local CTTC chapter. She was willing to give us a red eared slider and painted turtle from her collection. They are already housed together and do well. But, when I mentioned our substrate was sand the concern of impaction led her to suggesting another type. So we'll see... I'll talk with her again at our next meeting and go from there.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Team Gomberg said:
I'm afraid to do live plants!!! That is silly if you knew that I used to care live corals and reef tanks. But its been about 5 years since I did that and dont know if Im ready to get back into live decor. Especially for a classroom tank and not my own "in home" tank.

I have a 10 gallon at home that I'm hesitant to use live plants in. *embarrased* Maybe once I brave to do my 10 and realize I can handle it.... well.. we'll see LOL

I've been talking with a lady from my local CTTC chapter. She was willing to give us a red eared slider and painted turtle from her collection. They are already housed together and do well. But, when I mentioned our substrate was sand the concern of impaction led her to suggesting another type. So we'll see... I'll talk with her again at our next meeting and go from there.

Live plants are SO easy. All you need is some sort of plant life bulb, preferably at least 1 watt per gallon...Amazon swords are almost always my plant of choice for turtles. They are pretty, large-leafed plants, and its completely okay if the turtles eat them (they rarely do).
Here, I'll tell you how to plant amazon swords...First, you need a sand bed of about 1 1/2" inches, or more. Then, in a circumference around where you are going to put the plants, put 2 or 3 fertilizer tablets (just any type of plant fertilizer tablet, you bury them in the sand. I've never had a turtle find it, nor try to eat it, so I've never worried. Liquid fertilizers can be used to though, and most are safe to turtles). Then...bury the sword plant and watch it grow out of control. I had one almost take over a 75 gallon once that was not managed. Well over 200 leaves I would say, I actually filled a 5 gallon bucket halfway with leaves after trimming....
They're easy, beautiful, and the turtles love them :).

Good luck with the turtles. I've never ever heard of impaction from silica, and have never had it happen myself....Odd.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
RedfootsRule said:
Good luck with the turtles. I've never ever heard of impaction from silica, and have never had it happen myself....Odd.

This is comforting to hear. Thanks

If I brave the live plants, I'll tell ya :)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Team Gomberg said:
wellington said:
Looks really nice. Can't wait to see the turtles swimming around.
Thank you. Me too!

Rambo said:
I see your tortoise/turtle family is growing ?? lol Caught the bug perhaps ? :)

oh it's growing...I most definitely have the bug.

The blood-sucking parasite has firmly attached to the venae cavae, and is growing rapidly.....:cool:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I think you have done a great job. The children are going to enjoy it thats for sure, i know i would...

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Team Gomberg said:
For many months I have been planning the set up of a 125 gallon tank for aquatic turtles.
This is my first turtle set up and I'm excited for it!

It's on a small wall in a classroom. This classroom is for a Special Needs Ministry with children ages 2-6years old.

I set it up yesterday. Then today took some cycled water from the 125 gallon goldfish tank I have in the classroom next door and added that to the new tank with 3 small feeders. I'm going to continue using some of the fish water to hopefully cycle this tank a little quicker.
We'll see how that goes :)

Here is the set up. I still have tweaking to do with temps and other specifics once I figure out what turtles we will go with. That'll be a fun part. Suggestions on choices welcome!

Here is the view from the classroom door where parents and children arrive!

The back view. This side faces a kids computer area.
I have double doors for a storage/shelving area and the single door houses the fluval fx5 BEAST of a filter if I must say!

The basking area was tricky. Took alot of rock combinations before I had one that met all the requirements. It had to be away from all the glass for cleaning purposes, not trap any pockets of stagnant water that will destroy water quality, balance, sturdy, right height for a good basking temp! Finally did it and I like it. There is actually a layer of rock below the sand. I started directly on the glass then filled the sand around it. I didn't want it to shift if I siphoned sand out from around the base.

The end of the tank. We used silica sand as the substrate. Cosmetics of the tanks are very important to the Ministry Director so this was our best option. River rock, too dirty and gravel too ugly. bare bottom out of the question lol

This drift wood actually made a great cave. I had the bubble disc buried to the left of that plant but it wouldn't stay buried under the sand. So, for now at least, I put it in the cave and hid it with rocks. Looks better than the exposed disc but I loose the function of the hiding spot.. so I'll figure something out eventually..

The end with the filter intake, output and water heater

the cool plant

I think that's it for now. I'll be checking it daily for awhile to monitor it. Plus I'll be doing partial water changes with the fish water for cycling.
Then.....the turtles!

Thanks for looking.

Feedback welcome!

I'd have preferred the top wood "hood" was black to match the tank's bottom rim... maybe someday it will be.

Very sweet setup! If you guys are interested, I will donate a Albino Red Ear to the class.
403aa699.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Gerard, how would I take you up on your offer? We are in so Cal.

I shared this picture with the classroom director and I'll see what she says :)

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Team Gomberg said:
Gerard, how would I take you up on your offer? We are in so Cal.

I shared this picture with the classroom director and I'll see what she says :)

The animal actually has some size now, 3-4". I can ship it to you, no problem at all.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That would be wonderful!

The larger size works out better ;)

I will let you know when our tank is cycled and ready! I'll pm you with info and we can go from there :)

Thank you!

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Team Gomberg said:
That would be wonderful!

The larger size works out better ;)

I will let you know when our tank is cycled and ready! I'll pm you with info and we can go from there :)

Thank you!

You got it!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, really nice! Two PIF's. PIF- pay it forwards.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
ThAts great that you have this for the special needs children. What age again? I also work with special needs children (currently getting my credential in mild/moderate and moderate/severe children) and would LOVE to have some sort of addition to my classroom as well.
That's great that Gerard is willing to give a special addition to your collection :), very generous of him. It's great to see people aren't all in it for the money.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Blake,

The turtle tank is for ages 2-6 and i set up a 125 gallon goldfish tank for the 7-11 year olds.

They love it and having a tank makes a huge difference to some of the kids.

This was a few years ago but,
One kid would cry at drop of every time. Once we set up the fish tank, the next time he came in he didn't fuss and let his parents leave in peace. They were so blessed all because of a fish tank. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats a nice set up but are you using a uvb/uva lamp if so good job that is cool you are going the extra mile for the kids you will turn the kids into reptile lovers for the future and maybe when the turtle out grows the enclosure or needs a new home one of the kids could take care of it that is how i got my first snake thank god for teachers like you

Status
Not open for further replies.