10g Tank for a Tortoise Hatchling ?

Broken_Pixle

Location (City and/or State)
USA
I am new to the tortoise world and I have finally figured out what tortoise would be best for my lifestyle and my weather conditions, a Leopard Tortoise. But I do not know where to keep it. I know that they get large when they are adults, but I do not know how to house them when they are young. I have a 10g tank for reptiles that is not in use and it would be amazing (If for a least a year or something) I could keep my new tortoise in something I already have. Because I don't know the activity level of Leopard Torts, and I don't know if I need a larger area, I am asking for help. I am getting a hatchling and will only have them indoors when they are young. When they become an adult, I will be keeping them outside. (With the right weather conditions of course.) Thank you for your advice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A 10 gallon is not a proper size for even a good fish even though they will sell it too you.
You need at least a 50-60 gallon tote box that is long. That will work for about a year.
Too small and you can't get temps and humidity right nor can you fit all the things it needs.
Take a read of the caresheet. Even the sulcata one works for leopards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I am new to the tortoise world and I have finally figured out what tortoise would be best for my lifestyle and my weather conditions, a Leopard Tortoise. But I do not know where to keep it. I know that they get large when they are adults, but I do not know how to house them when they are young. I have a 10g tank for reptiles that is not in use and it would be amazing (If for a least a year or something) I could keep my new tortoise in something I already have. Because I don't know the activity level of Leopard Torts, and I don't know if I need a larger area, I am asking for help. I am getting a hatchling and will only have them indoors when they are young. When they become an adult, I will be keeping them outside. (With the right weather conditions of course.) Thank you for your advice!
I'm going to tell you right now. The leopard tortoise or any tortoise for that matter will take up a lot of time and money, so hopefully you have had time to really think this over before getting one. The leopard tortoise is the fourth largest tortoise and you'll need a lot of space in the near future. I'm at the point in my life that my kids are in their late teens and I no longer like to party all night, but instead prefer to hang out at home with the missus and to care for my dogs, cat, and my baby tortoise. That's why I know that I can devote my time to creating the best life for my shelled friend. And initially, you will be spending more money on your tortoise than you do your dogs. So unless you can devote time and money on your tortoise, I suggest you go smaller or not getting one at all. The leopard will most likely outlive you. But if you can accomodate the tortoise, then go for it. Enjoy the process and do come back to the Tortoise Forum for answers to a lot of questions.