100w

JennyG

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hello,

I went to the pet shop yesterday and was advised to use 60w basking bulb.
I’ve been researching and a lot use 100w.

he’s Horsefield and only young, I believe under 1.

I’ve bought a 100w basking bulb instead of the 60w.

it’s all so confusing the different watt bulbs and knowing which to use.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The thing you need to know about wattage is that it tells you how much heat the bulb puts out.

60 watts is kind of weak for most tortoise enclosures, including for hatchlings, since they need quite a bit of heat under the bulb and throughout the entire habitat.

The only way to know for sure if you have the right heat bulb(s) is to try them out with your set up.

A 100 watt bulb is very strong, but you manage the heat on the ground and at tortoise level by adjusting how high you hang it.

For a new set up, I'd buy both a 60W and 100W and experiment. Guessing can be so frustrating. lol

The "basking" bulbs sold at pets stores are "spot" bulbs. That is, they produce a blazing hot narrow beam that may not provide the best ambient heat around the basking location. You may find that a hardware store incandescent flood bulb works better (not LED - their actual wattage is very low and they don't give off heat). Again, finding the *right* wattage output for you can be a bit of an experiment.

Larger enclosures generally require an incandescent heat/light bulb and also a ceramic heat emitting bulb (CHE) that supplements ambient heat and does not produce light (so it can be left on overnight).

Ask as many follow-up questions as you need to!

JennyG

Uk
Thank you for your reply.

we only got him on Friday. We was told he came with everything and the only thing he came with was an infrared bulb. And a basic viv. Nothing else.

I’m so worrying that he’s not getting what he needs. It’s my own fault for assuming the person selling already had the correct set up for him.

is a uv light necessary or can I get away with giving him as much outside time as I can?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for your reply.

we only got him on Friday. We was told he came with everything and the only thing he came with was an infrared bulb. And a basic viv. Nothing else.

I’m so worrying that he’s not getting what he needs. It’s my own fault for assuming the person selling already had the correct set up for him.

is a uv light necessary or can I get away with giving him as much outside time as I can?
If you can get him outside 3-4 times a week for 1/2 hour for hatchling longer for adult then you don't need uvb indoors
Show pic of the enclosure and we can help you with what is wrong if anything.
Also, never listen to a pet store on animal care. They really have no clue. They only care about selling their stuff and making money.

JennyG

Uk
If you can get him outside 3-4 times a week for 1/2 hour for hatchling longer for adult then you don't need uvb indoors
Show pic of the enclosure and we can help you with what is wrong if anything.
Also, never listen to a pet store on animal care. They really have no clue. They only care about selling their stuff and making money.
I’m so glad I’ve found this forum!
Everything inside is what came with the tort, I haven’t changed anything yet as I was worried I would stress him out.

The second photo shows close up of the new 100w bulb, replacing the infrared one. I have bought a thermostat but haven’t put it in yet,
It’s only been 30 minutes since I put the new bulb in and the thermometer is saying it’s 90f

with the old bulb the thermometer stayed at around mid 70f.

I also can’t move the bulb. The angle that it’s at is what it would have to stay at.
Thanks again ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only your thermometer in your enclosure can tell you what wattage is needed.

Its not hard to move the fixture, or add a new one to the top of the enclosure if needed. Its just turning a few screws.

Read this for the current and correct care advice:

JennyG

Uk
I was told I also needed a bulb for overnight. The one I was sold is a ceramic heat bulb? But I’ve read online that everything should be off overnight to mimic natural environment.

is this true?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was told I also needed a bulb for overnight. The one I was sold is a ceramic heat bulb? But I’ve read online that everything should be off overnight to mimic natural environment.

is this true?
No lighting at night. Most species still need heat and that's what the ceramic heat emitter is for, heat with no light.
If the area the enclosure is located does not get below 60 at night then no night heat is needed. Day time needs 80 temps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

is this true?
This depends on the room temp. In a cold room, you will need some thermostatically controlled night heat. If you keep your house reasonably warm at night, then you won't need night heat. Most people in the UK seem to let their houses get pretty cold at night. Here in the US, most people keep their houses somewhat heated in the winter time.

If you read the care sheet I linked, all of this is explained.

Last edited by a moderator: