10 inch Sulcata for adoption LA/OC, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1234

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I've had my sulcata for a few years now. I am ashamed to admit I got him as a somewhat impulse purchase at a pet store, but I'd like to believe I've taken as good care of him as I can. I've been a reader and semi active on this forum for a while. He is only 10ish inches long despite being about 3 years old. This is probably from the lack of wide open spaces I can't provide. He eats well, poops well, and when I do get to take him outside, he is curious and full of energy.

I have always been hopeful that I could provide him a nice big yard sooner than later, but as anyone who lives in socal knows, it's tough affording a nice big home. I don't think a home will come for a long time. I work long hours and it's become increasingly obvious I should look for a better home for my tort. As much as I love seeing him and taking care of him every day, I know he could be so much happier.

Anyway, I have attached some pictures. Please let me know if you would be interested in adopting him. While I have always referred to my tort as a "he" it could very well be female. If you could provide me a picture of your backyard and tell me a little bit about yourself and the living situation he will be going to, I would greatly appreciate it. I just want him to go to a good home.

I would be willing to meet any place in LA or Orange county. I would prefer to drive him to you, so I could see his new home in person, at least from the outside. I will not be shipping him.

I abhor the idea of "selling" my tort, so I don't want any money. I just need to be sold that he will be going to a good home.

Thanks.
DK

dk1234

5 Year Member
Hmm, I haven't had issues loading pictures from my cell phone before, but I can't seem to be able to do it here. I can PM you pictures.

dk1234

5 Year Member
20160529_112909-jpg.175407

20160529_113220-jpg.175406

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You have a very nice looking tortoise. I applaud your efforts to find a great home.

Can you post a pic of the underside showing the tail and anal scutes? I'm sure any potential adopter will ask for this.

dk1234

5 Year Member
Tom, thank you very much for your compliment. I really appreciate it.

I have attached pictures of my tort's underside. I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for with the anal scutes, so I hope I took a good enough picture, but let me know if I should take one from a different angle.

Thanks!
20160530_214229-jpg.175579

20160530_214236-jpg.175580

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Small gular and straight-back pointing anal scutes, plus small tail - female.

dk1234

5 Year Member
Oh awesome! Thanks for the info Yvonne. I've always wondered and now I know.

Piru Erica

I live near the LA County/Ventura County border near Magic Mountain. My family has been actively searching for a tortoise to adopt and was very interested in adopting an African Sulcata. We have a large backyard and are willing to build an enclosure/habitat. I am very new at Tortoise care, but would be interested in adopting if you could share your experiences with us.

dk1234

5 Year Member
To the right home, I would be more than willing to drive down to San Diego county, if that changes anything for anyone.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi everyone,

I've had my sulcata for a few years now. I am ashamed to admit I got him as a somewhat impulse purchase at a pet store, but I'd like to believe I've taken as good care of him as I can. I've been a reader and semi active on this forum for a while. He is only 10ish inches long despite being about 3 years old. This is probably from the lack of wide open spaces I can't provide. He eats well, poops well, and when I do get to take him outside, he is curious and full of energy.

I have always been hopeful that I could provide him a nice big yard sooner than later, but as anyone who lives in socal knows, it's tough affording a nice big home. I don't think a home will come for a long time. I work long hours and it's become increasingly obvious I should look for a better home for my tort. As much as I love seeing him and taking care of him every day, I know he could be so much happier.

Anyway, I have attached some pictures. Please let me know if you would be interested in adopting him. While I have always referred to my tort as a "he" it could very well be female. If you could provide me a picture of your backyard and tell me a little bit about yourself and the living situation he will be going to, I would greatly appreciate it. I just want him to go to a good home.

I would be willing to meet any place in LA or Orange county. I would prefer to drive him to you, so I could see his new home in person, at least from the outside. I will not be shipping him.

I abhor the idea of "selling" my tort, so I don't want any money. I just need to be sold that he will be going to a good home.

Thanks.
DK
A very warm welcome to the forum!

That is a cute tort. GOD bless.

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, which will definitely help you. And give your tort daily soaks in warm water.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I live near the LA County/Ventura County border near Magic Mountain. My family has been actively searching for a tortoise to adopt and was very interested in adopting an African Sulcata. We have a large backyard and are willing to build an enclosure/habitat. I am very new at Tortoise care, but would be interested in adopting if you could share your experiences with us.
Welcome to the forum!

Minos90

San Diego
To the right home, I would be more than willing to drive down to San Diego county, if that changes anything for anyone.

Hello I live in sandiego and can definitely adopt your tortoise. I have 2 Russian tortoises 4 red ear sliders and 2 razorback musk turtles :D let me know I can send pics of my outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.