< 1 year old Tortoise with runny nose Advice

MistakenMexican

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi All,

I thought I'd seek some community advice. First of all, I have an emergency vet appointment regarding this issue, so please don't worry on my behalf. I'd rather be safe than sorry based on the potential severity of the issue. But I'd also like to hear what people think on the matter.

On Saturday, our 11 month old Russian Tortoise (Ferrari) had a runny nose. We straight away re-evaluated his table conditions, called the vet and replaced his substrate. The vet said to observe him on Sunday and bring him on Monday if it persists. By Sunday morning he had no runny nose or breathing noises. The vet told us not to worry and keep an eye on him over the week. On Saturday night, we did a few corrective actions: We moved his table to a dryer and warmer part of the house. We replaced his substrate with brand new coir (after cleaning the table). We cleaned Ferrari in a warm bath. We upped the ambient temperature from 20c to 21c.

He's been eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally. His behaviour hasn't changed. He sleeps most of the day, and tends to charge around in hour bursts between 7am and 3pm. He's active for between 2 and 4 hours a day if you factor in the midday naps. I can't be more precise than that because I can't watch him all day long.

We use organic Coco Coir. The cool side of his table is set to 21-23C and the warm side of his table is set to 32-36C. I appreciate 32C maybe too low - but this is a bottom end of the control we can achieve. I have smart home sensors regulating the temperatures, so it's fairly consistent but not 100% precision. Humidity is kept between 60-80%, I can't control it any better than that as we don't have AC.
Until last month, we only fed him what we grew from seed. However, recently we've been getting him plantain and other safe weeds from the local recreation ground.

He's been absolutely fine since Sunday. However, today, within an hour, he developed a runny nose and a squeak.

What do people think is causing this runny nose and squeak? If it's anything we can control, I'll do my best to rectify it :)

MistakenMexican

UK
It's worth noting, now hes gone back to sleep in his favourite pot, and he's no longer got a runny nose or a squeak...

will still take him to the vet ASAP to identify if the issue is environmental or illness related.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It is my very own personal belief and experience that most Veterinarians even those with "exotic" experience, don't know jack about reptiles as a whole. Here again, it's my personal experience that raising the temp in the table, and noticing some things, had he just eaten something before you saw bubbles? Eating some foods will cause fluid out thru the nares, Squeaking? Does that happen when he sucks his head in his shell? Just some things to think about. You don't necessarily need to rush off to a Vet, raise the temperatures where he lives and make sure his lighting is on for 12 hours daily...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Have you read this? Regardless of what I just commented here is a care sheet written by someone we know. You should read this ask more questions and make sure you are following this care sheet...

MistakenMexican

UK
Have you read this? Regardless of what I just commented here is a care sheet written by someone we know. You should read this ask more questions and make sure you are following this care sheet...

Thanks!

I’ve read this, we used this guide combined with the baby torts care sheet to set up his table. The MVB is on 12 hours a day, 6-6 whilst the UVB Tube light is on for around 8 hours a day.

as far as I can tell from the care sheet, we’re bang on.

in reference to your other comment, thanks for the ideas! It might be food! He eats early doors, however he has a spider plant he can graze from whenever he feels like. Maybe that’s part of it!
In terms of his squeaking, it looks like it’s when he’s exhaling, I can see his arms push in and a bubble pop out, around the time he squeaks.