1.5 year old tortoise- no growth, 60 grams

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We were given a sulcata. She is about 1.5 years old. She is not growing.
I don’t think she was kept under the best conditions before we got her and we were given some bad advice to start. We made the corrections needed based on info here. (Lots more soaking, very humid enclosure, grasses, leaves and Mazuri food).

I have been monitoring her weight for a month and literally zero grams gained. She is only 60 grams. I know for a fact she is at LEAST 1.5 years old based on when the family member got her and then when she came to live with us.

What do you think her prognosis is? She has improved in energy levels. Eyes brighter. Do tortoises come back from something like this? What will her quality of life be like? Any more suggestions?

Our other torts are growing crazy fast and nice smooth shells. She has her own indoor house too- only shares an outside space for a few hours a day. Outside space is 10ftx10ft.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We were given a sulcata. She is about 1.5 years old. She is not growing.
I don’t think she was kept under the best conditions before we got her and we were given some bad advice to start. We made the corrections needed based on info here. (Lots more soaking, very humid enclosure, grasses, leaves and Mazuri food).

I have been monitoring her weight for a month and literally zero grams gained. She is only 60 grams. I know for a fact she is at LEAST 1.5 years old based on when the family member got her and then when she came to live with us.

What do you think her prognosis is? She has improved in energy levels. Eyes brighter. Do tortoises come back from something like this? What will her quality of life be like? Any more suggestions?

Our other torts are growing crazy fast and nice smooth shells. She has her own indoor house too- only shares an outside space for a few hours a day. Outside space is 10ftx10ft.
When started and housed incorrectly, this sort of thin can happen. I once saw a 6 year old that was around 3 inches long. And the person had no idea anything was wrong.

No one can predict what will happen with this tortoise, but if you follow the care sheet, it will likely begin to grow and be fine. It just takes months to get them past this sometimes.

Florida
Thanks. We have definitely started following the guide to a T. Wish we had found it sooner! Lots of bad info out there. ?

Yes she is definitely 1.5 years at LEAST. My family member got her in February or March of 2019. And then they started traveling too much and gave her to us.

Do you know how that tortoise ended up? We love this little one so much. I’m hoping that we aren’t too late and we will see her start to grow and thrive.