Zoomed Tortoise Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington State
I am looking for opinions on the Zoomed natural food for tortoises. I believe that it is a relatively new product designed specifically for forest tortoises or grassland tortoises. I know that there are some other similar products on the market but I am not that familiar with this type of food. I would appreciate any feedback.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I don't know much about it, sorry. I did buy it when I first got my first tort, about two years ago, and she never liked it (so I never got it again). I just feed fresh stuff now. I think any pre made meal can't beat fresh fruits and veggies. I would never rely solely on a tortoise food product of any kind anyways. Freshness is a must in my opinion.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree - go with fresh stuff. It's easier and cheaper - especially if it's weeds! Most of that commercial food is corn and not all that good for them.

A

alexjems41

I don't know about Zoomed food .I know about Rep-Cal Tortoise food,if you want to try.It is formulated to ensure proper growth and health by providing complete and balanced nutrition. It is a veterinarian recommended food containing natural plant and fruit ingredients tortoises love and provides the 100% complete daily nutrition they need.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
alexjems41 said:
I know about Rep-Cal Tortoise food,if you want to try.It is formulated to ensure proper growth and health by providing complete and balanced nutrition. It is a veterinarian recommended food containing natural plant and fruit ingredients tortoises love and provides the 100% complete daily nutrition they need.

Do you work for them?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
At least Zoomed's first ingredient is oat hay, but I'm not sure I'd feed soy beans. Rep-Cal's first ingredient is corn - something I would not feed to my tortoises.

Zoomed Tortoise Food Ingredients:

Sun-cured Oat Hay, Sun-cured Timothy Hay, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Sun-cured Alfalfa Meal, Whole Ground Wheat, Escarole, Endive, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Yeast Culture, Dandelion Greens (Dried), Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, Direct-Fed Microorganisms (Heat Stable Cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casai, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Enterococcus faecium, Aspergillus oryzae), Yeast Extract, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Garlic Extract, Anise Extract, Cassia Extract (Chinese), Ginger Extract, Horseradish Extract, Juniper Extract, Natural Flavoring, Marigold (Petal Extract), Yucca schidigera (Whole Plant Powder), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Stabilized Vitamin C), Zinc Methionine Complex, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin E Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement (Retinyl Acetate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Source of Vitamin B5), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Tribasic Copper Chloride, Calcium Iodate, and Sodium Selenite.

RepCal Ingredients:

Ground Corn, Soy Hulls, Soybean Meal, Wheat Germ, Dried Apple Pomace, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Ascorbic Acid, Choline Chloride, Dried Mango, Dried Papaya, Dried Strawberry, Vegetable Oil, Methionine Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Menadione Dimethylpyrimidionol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K Activity), Cobalt Carbonate, Inositol, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Folic Acid, Artificial Color, Natural flavor

Torts

5 Year Member
Washington State
I too have always fed fresh foods. It seems as though some tortoise breeders feed the pellet food but I have never tried it until recently. I picked up the grassland mix and forest mix and one of my russians and my redfoot like it but the others are not so keen. I guess I will stick with fresh food.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I personally think Grassland Tortoise Food (this is not new) is on par with Mazuri, although I would not feed either as more than a very small part of the diet as neither is as good in my opinion as fresh food. I feed them for variety and so my tort has a taste of it in case of an emergency when I can't go out and buy food. He likes both about the same amount actually. The Mazuri is a tad cheaper, but only because it can be bought in bulk and re-packaged. I don't like that they add vitamins to them as I only like to give pure calcium or natural stuff. I think the only reason Mazuri gets hyped more is because zoos buy it, which I think is only because it is cheap and readily available. Best wishes.

tangale

5 Year Member
NYC
I feed my redfoot the forest version whenever I don't have fresh veggies at home. He/she loves it more than anything else.

samstar

5 Year Member
My male Star is hooked on to Mazuri and that's all I give him 24/7. Once in a while like today, I gave him hibiscus which he ate fully.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have fed my tortoises some of this stuff before, but I prefer to use mazuri. I have feed my redfoots the forest version....they ate it, but preferred mazuri over it anyday.

Renowned radiated tortoise breeder John Bailey used to feed his radiated tortoises this diet and even promoted it in one of their ads.

I would only use this as a supplement.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I bought The Zoo Med natural forest for my Redfoot & Hingeback. My Redfoot loves it just as much or equally to the mazuri. She totally scarfs both! They can be expensive at Petco (only chain pet store I have near me). I order from petdiscounters.com and petstore.com which is almost less than half the price at Petco. And petdiscounters.com carry a zoo med natural for BOX TURTLES too!!! I agree the fresh greens are better, but these give the torts a variety of things to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.