Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Waterfall Kit ...

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I used aquarium sealant to add another clump of fake plant fronds to the other side. Have to leave the stuff to set up forever it feels like.... Finally decided to give the pump + waterfall a test before attaching the tubing.
I was happy with my results so far! I wasn't sure I was going to get my cascading effect on such a small scale.
But then I had to leave it alone again to dry out for a day.
So today I used sealant to affix the l-joint to the back of the waterfall before I attach the tubing for the pump. Sealed some weak spots where water was spraying out the back.
And now, I have to wait (yet again) for 24 hours so that the aquarium sealant can set up completely. I think its only 24 hours...mabey 48, sheesh!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
So I let my driftwood waterfall sit for the whole 48 hours. It was kind of top heavy, so I masking taped it to a plate to keep it steady.
I was a little worried that I was just going to rip the plastic elbow out of the driftwood trying to get the tubing for the pump into it.
But the aquarium sealant held it in there pretty well. I decided not to put the tubing behind the background so that it would be easier to work with. Then i put a large zip tie around the tube. Then i bent the zipper part, and shoved it into the seem between two pieces of background material, so that it would get held in place by tension behind the background. The texture of the zip tie makes it easy to adjust the angle of the tubing so that it wont put too much pressure on the plastic elbow by pushing / pulling the thing in and out. I put a little rubber band on the driftwood to hold the tubing in place. Oh yeah, I also put a piece of foam as a filter on the pump, since I read several reviews that suggested that.
The first time I fired it up , I had it set to the max setting. Um....not a good idea. It shot water all over the place full blast! Turning it all way down to the lowest minimum setting produced a steady drip. So I turned it just above the minimum setting and got a perfect cascade effect.

20170106_152501.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Artemis seemed interested in watching me work on installing the water feature. But when I turned it on she seemed completely uninterested and just buried herself again.
Bratty girl.
So later, after obsessively fussing with the thing for a few hours, i got her out and set her on the opposite side of the table from the waterfall. She seemed a little nervous at first. The occasional spray from the water got her attention though. Then she walked over and cutely licked water droplets off of all the beach rocks before climbing under the water stream and hanging out for a while!

20170106_165114.jpg

Rylatts

UK
Artemis seemed interested in watching me work on installing the water feature. But when I turned it on she seemed completely uninterested and just buried herself again.
Bratty girl.
So later, after obsessively fussing with the thing for a few hours, i got her out and set her on the opposite side of the table from the waterfall. She seemed a little nervous at first. The occasional spray from the water got her attention though. Then she walked over and cutely licked water droplets off of all the beach rocks before climbing under the water stream and hanging out for a while!

View attachment 196588

Looks great!!

Just out of curiosity is the water being circulated or are you just topping the water up now and then?

This has given me a really good idea for when I build my bigger enclosure. Thinking about making a waterfall at one end and having a stream leading down to a small pond type thing at the other end ;)

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
The water is circulating. Once I can find one, I'll add a water hyacinth to increase filtration!
I didn't like how I had to have the plant saucer leaning over to allow one side to overflow back into the system.
So I went to the store and got a couple of slightly smaller saucers so I could practice breaking a notch out of the rim . They were all out of the same size I have right now. I would have sworn that it was the 6 " size, I guess its bigger.
By the way, I just soaked them in warm water for an hour or two. Then I took a pair of pliers and squeezed little chunks off of the edge until it formed the minimal overflow point. 20170107_162213.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I felt like adding a layer of moss over the screen was spunging up too much water from the system, and transfering it out into my sphagnum moss layer. It seemed like it was contributing too much moisture to my humid side. So i used the smaller tray, and replaced the moss layer with a gravel layer.
Seems to be working better. Not so much moisture getting absorbed into the moss. Unfortunately, now that I replaced the larger plant saucer, I'm in need of some more pretty rocks to fill in my water reservoir.
I threw the dollar store rocks I bought out into my flower pots. After struggling to get the varnish off of them, it was a huge waste of trouble! Just kept making the water in my bucket dirty no matter what!!!
So my boyfriend found my rock polisher that I left in storage, and there was still a good hand full of beach rocks that I don't remember polishing in the thing! Cool! So as soon as I can get some more polishing grit (roads are icy today) I will refill it and make Artemis some more pretty rocks to fill up her waterfall.

20170108_114343.jpg 20170108_114437.jpg 20170108_114559.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Those colorfull green and pink rocks are jade, moss agates, pink agates, and oregon sunstone from Garibaldi , and Rockaway Beach , on the Oregon coast. I wish i hadnt lost the rest of my beach rocks!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Looks great, the Venus Fly Trap looks nice and healthy.

Oh no! I killed my last two living Venus flytraps! So when I saw a sturdy fake one, I wanted that bad boy for my jungle! Artemis ignores her only live edible landscape plant : an aloe plant. She never seems interterested in any fake plants once she sniffs them .

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Geez! One more question!

Instead of using Eco Earth for this kit, could I just use sphagnum moss?
I don't think I can have Eco Earth in a red foot enclosure.

You need the moss for humidity.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Update!:

So i pulled some nice colorfull rocks out of my rock polisher for Artemis's waterfall! Some very nice colors so far!
But i broke the belt in my polisher, so i have to wait now until i buy a new replacement! Woke up to the the canister not spinning any more. Oh well, I'll have to get multiple extras just to be safe!
20170121_154144.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
that sucks hopefully your almost done

Slow and steady win the race!
Oh well. It may take a few loads in the polisher before i can fill that tray up! I want to add at least one live aquatic plant (mabey 2) to the banks of the waterfall to add filtration.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
My gosh, it has been so many years . I am actually thinking about making Artemis another water feature of this design!
This post is from 2016? It's 2022