Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Waterfall Kit ...

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So i was curious about the Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Waterfall Kit. I've noticed that most "fountains" seem to be utterly useless for a tortoise enclosure, and get tons of negative reviews to boot. But I keep thinking about the possibility of using this kit to make my own....
Anyone ever used it ?
Suggestions?
I also have past experience making indoor self contained aquaponics systems. So I guess I was comparing a little waterfall/fountain build to that.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Alright , so I weakened and ordered myself one, since it was on sale, and I had a black Friday coupon....
Oh well!
I think I can use something like this to build a really nice reservoir in my new enclosure. Hopefully I'm not wrong there.
Anyone ever made a circulating water system for there tort? I'm really tantalized by the idea of making a small waterfall.
I would LOVE some pics of someone else's DIY system!
Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone in England did something like that. Was is @Anyfoot ? They had an outbuilding they made into a tortoise house and there was a water feature. I'll see if I can find it.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
So in the description of the kit, it says that you need a cork wood background and/or mopani wood to complete this water feature.

Well unless, I use rocks instead I guess.

But are "cork wood backgrounds" and "mopani wood" safe for use in my red foot's waterfall feature?
I really don't know anything about this material...
And is there a problem with using driftwood for the same thing?
(From the Oregon coast) Is it tortoise safe?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Geez! One more question!

Instead of using Eco Earth for this kit, could I just use sphagnum moss?
I don't think I can have Eco Earth in a red foot enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Eco earth is fine for RF substrate. Many members use it.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
So I'm planning on having a plastic tray as the base for my waterfall, so that I can keep the layered media contained in one area. I was also thinking it would make it easier to clean out the water periodically. I was thinking of using a paint tray, since the pump could be submerged underwater and covered in media in the deep end. I would still have her ceramic plant dish as her primary body of water; but it will overflow and recirculate through the filter balls, and back down my (still not designed yet) waterfall feature.
Not really wanting to flood my substrate, like some tutorial videos I watched.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I'm using one of those clear refrigerator trays as the base for my water feature.20161214_100945.jpgI'm soaking my driftwood in there for now.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I found some cheap aquarium plants to use on my background and waterfall. I wanted something that I wouldn't mind cutting into smaller bits to use as art material!20161214_101845.jpg

On some of these, the 3D leaf design is only on the backs of the leaves, so they look very unrealistic when viewed from above.
But when cascading upside down over the rocky background or with my waterfall design, I think they will look good.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
Im going to be following this. It looks interesting.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I have a fountain in my outdoor enclosure, but always had issues doing one inside. This should be interesting.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
20161231_134927.jpg
I've been working on my tortoise table alot lately, but not as much on my waterfall. I'm starting to have my doubts about this driftwood... It's already splitting in a few places.
Once I cut an angle off of a second smaller piece, I will attach it as the second tier on my waterfall. I'm not going to hide the tubing behind the background because I want easy access to it. I'll trim it once I get the waterfall put together . My parents are at the beach for the weekend, and hopefully my mom will bring me some beach rocks! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I used the last of my aquarium sealant to glue the parts together. Not the most realistic....but I like the fake plants that i stuck on so far. I'm going to add a couple more once im done waiting for this stuff to set up.20161231_182155.jpgHere is my disorganized work space, with kitty off in the right corner.