Zoo Med Clamp Lamp Safety Cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I wouldn't think it would be necessary so long as there isn't anything flammable right near the bulb, just my opinion. I do like the zoomed adjustable light stand though, it's sturdy and it holds the light securely (though I do have an extra c-clamp for extra safety).

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think if you have the fixture attached correctly and have a fail safe, its not necessary. If it gives you peace of mind, than sure. Substrate can still stick through something like that if the fixture fell straight down, so its not 100% safe. I use a ZooMed lamp stand (very good product) with a hood fixture with a hook such that the fixture hangs from the stand. Then, I wrap the cord of the hood fixture around the hook such that if the hook failed the fixture wouldn't fall in. Using a hook plus a clamp is a similar method. Most of us do have flammable stuff all over--I have aspen wood substrate, hay, and plastic plants all right under the light! Fire safety is very important. Other precautions are to make sure you have working smoke detectors near the enclosure (test them on a regular basis), your neighbors know you have pets and where they are located plus a key if necessary (if there isn't a window to break or whatever) and containers to put the pets in so the pets can be rescued, and to use good cords and electrical stuff to minimize that risk.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
I do plan on getting one of those stands for my light, but I probably will get it just for peace of mind! Thanks for the container adive toroisenerd.

P.S. I have one other question, I know I ask so many of them, but I was looking at Zilla Digital Infrared Thermometer ( it a gun looking think and you just point and it tell you the tem.) I was wonder if I got one of those would I still need a thermometer in with the tort also?

Status
Not open for further replies.