Zakynthos

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Our destination of holiday this year is the Greek Island of Zakynthos also known as Zante. It's famous for the Loggerhead turtles. Around 18yrs ago we came here and went on boat trips to see them out in the sea. Very cool. This time I wanted to find the well known beach of Gerakas where turtles come up a shore to dig nests. Also in this area are the only tortoises on the island which I believe are hermanns, guess what, I've not found one yet. This whole area is a national marine park, so the turtles and nesting sites are monitored very closely and are protected. This year up to now there are 75 nests on Gerakas beach with 3 developing hatchlings for now. Turtles come ashore at night and hatchlings rise to the surface late in the evening until early morning when the sun is down. Apparently each turtle lays up to 120 eggs 50 to 60cm deep. Each nest has 2 or 3 sessions of hatchling rising to the surface, the lowest eggs in the nest take longer to hatch because it's cooler lower down. I'm assuming this gives chance of both sexes within the same clutch.
To my suprise the beach is open to public bathers until 7pm. Every morning the turtle researches go down at dawn to follow any new tracks to new nest sites. To assure there is actually a nest they dig down until eggs are felt then covered back up, a small cage is put over the nest and dated. Apparently 2 to 3 months is the time for incubation.
Not much to see really other than the nest sites, I enjoyed talking to the research guys. But I must say a bit peed off this beach can be used for sun worshipping, there are plenty of beaches on the island and everyone of them is like a scene from paradise.
On top of this there is a turtle sanctuary here, it's nothing to do with the guys who reasearch the loggerhead turtles. I Wasn't impressed with this sanctuary really, they have some wild caught Greeks that have produced hatchlings in captivity. Absolutely no water is provided and they are adiment that these tortoise get all their hydration requirements from the diet.
They had some cool skeletons of loggerhead and tortoises. Although the baby tortoise skeleton looks to be captive bred because of the rear split vertibral scute. Maybe it's because it was kept too dry. I fear for the babies they have now.
Few photos I took that someone maybe interested in.
Fifth one is the gerakas beach showing sun worshippers right next to the nest sights.
Then the rest are from in the sanctuary.

I'm a bit confused whether these sanctuary tortoises are hermanns or Greeks. I was told hermanns exist on the island but the 2 wild caught adults in this sanctuary are referred to as Greeks, and the guy said these are wc from this island. They plan on releasing the babies back into the wild at 2 yrs old.

Sorry if some photos are duplicated I have a new phone that I'm still trying to get familiar with.

IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0330.JPG IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0352.JPG IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0354.JPG IMG_0356.JPG IMG_0357.JPG IMG_0358.JPG IMG_0359.JPG IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0365.JPG IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0381.JPG IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0327.JPG IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0333.JPG

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yeah we read this. Apparently the baby turtles navigate with moon light. So no plane flights at night because the flight path comes in to the airport very low to the beach they nest on.
There's another beach at a resort called Laganas, turtles nest on this beach too. We drove over there today and didn't even get out of the car. It's now a resort for the party animals. I'm all for partying but not next to a main turtle nesting spot. Laganas has changed drastically since we were here last.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Forgot to mention my main point(to much beer). Some of The babies in Laganas now head for the lights where all the partying goes on and get killed on the roads.(so I've been told).

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Very interesting and informative.
Looks like you had a pretty good time, Craig.
I'm pretty sure Greeks don't occur naturally there, though I may be wrong, again, But the Eastern Hermann's Testudo hermanni, boettgeri do.
They probably call them Greek tortoises because it's Greece, I guess.