Young torts mating

Hainsy

I've got two 11 month Hermanns and the larger one has just started trying to mount the smaller one.

Is this normal as I thought tortoises didn't start getting urges until about 5 years.

Is there anything I can do to stop them other than putting them in seperate enclosures.

I'd hate to have to get rid of one but I don't think it's fair on the smaller one to keep getting harrassed.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Have you had them from the time they hatched? If not, is it possible they're older?

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
To answer your question about separating them, yes, you should keep them apart, if you feel one is harassing the other. Torts are solitary animals and usually don't do well in confined spaces. They do better in larger groups, usually 1 male to several females. Again, in very spacious enclosures.

Hainsy

We got them from a pet shop and all the certificates say they were hatched last September.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
We got them from a pet shop and all the certificates say they were hatched last September.
I'd recommend posting pictures, so the experts can tell you whether they're actually as young as the pet store said they are. Pet stores will tell you anything to get you to buy pets and supplies.

Hainsy

Quick update.
I went to my local reptile shop and spoke to the owner (who happens to be a zoologist). He said it sounded like dominance mating which can be either sex. He said if left together, the smaller one wouldn't thrive as the larger one wound keep hogging the food and best basking spot.
I then found the smaller tortoise snapping at the larger one.

They are now in seperate accommodation and I'm pleased to say seem to be doing well.

Thanks for all your help.