Young Sulcata is growing slowly

Mae

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
I'm concerned something wrong with the tortoise. I just got a sulcata from a friend of a friend who didn't want it anymore. She took really bad care of it, she thought it was a box turtle which was way off, kept it in a 10 gallon tank, it didn't have any shelter from the light, the lightbulb was just one you'd use for a lamp, and she didn't give the poor tortoise any water! She said she had it for three years and it's only the size of a baseball! Its mouth is dark around it I'm not sure if that's normal. Is there something wrong?? Will the size of the cage effect it? Any advice will be helpful.

Newark, DE
I'm concerned something wrong with the tortoise. I just got a sulcata from a friend of a friend who didn't want it anymore. She took really bad care of it, she thought it was a box turtle which was way off, kept it in a 10 gallon tank, it didn't have any shelter from the light, the lightbulb was just one you'd use for a lamp, and she didn't give the poor tortoise any water! She said she had it for three years and it's only the size of a baseball! Its mouth is dark around it I'm not sure if that's normal. Is there something wrong?? Will the size of the cage effect it? Any advice will be helpful.
I am not an expert on torts, especially sulcatas, but there are some really good care sheets on here and some folks who are experts on this species. Someone will come along soon and respond with lots of good info. What I would suggest you do in the meantime - is take a picture of where you are housing him and also post some pics of him. That way the people here on the forum can offer advice and suggestions. What I do know is you should soak the tort right away because if he hasn't had access to water then he is probably dehydrated. Also, the tortoise needs UV light if kept inside so if you don't have that - you'll want to get one for him right away.

Check out the care sheets for sulcatas and the beginners mistakes thread - they will give you great info.

Alaskamike

South Florida
It would help to post pics of your tortoise. Easier to see what you are working with.

I've rescued a few of these , so have many others here. Specific recommendations follow the current state of the art care , but some are individual to your tortoise.

Go to Sulcata section & read the care sheets. That will help greatly.

Good fortune to you

Bee62

Germany

Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum.
The size of the cage where the poor tort has to lived before has no influence of the growth but when a sulcata tortoise is kept much too dry.
For the "first aid" you can soak the tortoise in warm water ( the water must stay warm during the soak ) for an hour.

Can you show us some pics of the tortoise ? With some pics it`ll be easier to see problems.
How do you keep her ? What do you feed ?

Mae

Phoenix, AZ
Here's a picture! I will post a picture of the cage asap. I'm planning on putting it in a bin cage. It's 226 grams.IMG_1291.JPG

Bee62

Germany
The tortoise is not looking bad. She is cute !
She has a slightly pyramiding of the carapax but not very bad.
Otherwise she is looking healthy.
Don`t worry about the dark mouth. It looks like it is from eating greens.
Keep her warm with high humidity, because only humidity can stopp the shell pyramiding.

What`s her or his name ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Bee is right, I was expecting the worst based on your initial description of the original conditions. Your little guy's habitat really needs some work, humidity, food, lighting, substrate, access to cuddle bone/calcium, grass, weeds, and daily soaks. Read all the posts on the care of young sulcatas. Start today!

Mae

Phoenix, AZ
The tortoise is not looking bad. She is cute !
She has a slightly pyramiding of the carapax but not very bad.
Otherwise she is looking healthy.
Don`t worry about the dark mouth. It looks like it is from eating greens.
Keep her warm with high humidity, because only humidity can stopp the shell pyramiding.

What`s her or his name ?
That's great to hear!! She's in a much better cage now (with higher humidity) than she was. I have decided to name her Charlie, because I'm not 100% sure she is a girl.

Bee62

Germany
That's great to hear!! She's in a much better cage now (with higher humidity) than she was. I have decided to name her Charlie, because I'm not 100% sure she is a girl.

Charlie is a nice name. If she is a girl you can name her Charlene. :)
Good that you took her. This is the beginning of a life long friendship.:)
Tortoises are wonderful !
:tort::<3: