you know what they say... never throw an egg away

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
I found an egg that was dropped by one of my yellow foots about 5 months ago. No biggie. Put it in the incubator. Months go by...I candle lit it at about 3 months.... and nothing. No signs of life what so ever. I then kind of forgot about it, thinking it was no good. But it wasn't molding so I figured what the hell, I'll keep it. A month goes by... (it's been 4 months at this point) I candle lit it again. I saw red veins everywhere!!! (Now typically this 4 month old YF egg should have been hatched by now and it's just starting!) Incredible!!! I get so excited, I take it out to re wet the "now dry vermiculite" and what do I do!!!??? I accidentally bump the egg and it rolls across my kitchen counter....:( grrrrrrrr...it's DOOMED right!!?? WRONG!!!

It is now about 5 1/2 months, I just candle lit it and saw the baby shift inside:):) all is good..... after all that!
It's my "MAGIC MIRACLE BABY;)"

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Thanks G-stars:) I will. My estimated guess, it'll hatch sometime in the beginning of December...we'll see!:)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D Wow, that is one special egg... good luck with your little guy!! I hope he hatches out okay :D

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Well....YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY.. NEVER COUNT YOUR "TORTS" BEFORE THEY HATCH.....
Unfortunately my magic miracle egg didn't make it. I opened up the incubator to let in some fresh air, took a wiff and:(:(:(....stunk bad. I opened the egg up to find a deceased yellowfoot. The yolk sac was not the norm. It was black...? I don't know what that could mean but it was very smelly and it just sucked. My poor little trooper didn't make it after all...just thought I'd give you guys an update.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh man, I was checking in to see where this thread had gone. So, sorry. You both gave it a good fight though.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
So sorry to hear the little one didn't make it. But you gave it a gallant try!!