You don't always get a perfect baby

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It is nature, sadly not all are born healthy.

Dorrie Siu

You're not being a bad guy!! If in the wild, she would not survive and would be prey....

Don't feel bad, Yvonne. There's only so much that human intervention can do. :( The point is, you tried.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
One of the reasons I don't take in any eggs. I hate seeing these sad little surprises. Hopefully the others will be OK.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Is it possible that under this "extra skin" are normal nares and normally developed eyes, only needing removal of this "skin"?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Dorrie Siu said:
You're not being a bad guy!! If in the wild, she would not survive and would be prey....

Don't feel bad, Yvonne. There's only so much that human intervention can do. :( The point is, you tried.

Agreed.

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
I would be more than happy to take her and try to teach her to eat! I've rescued animals my whole life. I would hate to see the little one be put down without seeing what it's capable of learning. I'm home full time so I have more than enough time to devote to her. I live in Atlanta though.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yvonne G said:
So I finally got around to taking the new baby out of the incubator and I set her up in this really, really, REALLY big habitat:

03-30-14a_zps48845198.jpg

...and I thought I'd better wash off her head because it looked like there was vermiculite stuck on her eyes. But, no, I'm afraid I'm going to have to euthanize this baby. There are no eyes where eyes belong, but there is a big raw-looking spot on the top of the head with maybe eyes under the skin on top of the head...and the top beak is deformed too:

03-30-14b_zps5e503a82.jpg

and the folded plastron is not opening up either:

03-30-14c_zpsa98157ec.jpg

Poor little baby. This might have happened when the temperature inside the incubator spiked about half-way through the incubation period.

It is my first time to see a baby tortoise that small.

One day.........One day. I hope, If God welling, I may also able to hatch my own Tortoise.

Thank you for sharing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't feel bad Yvonne, your thinking of the poor little thing first and putting it down is the best you could do for it. It's sad, very sad, but in the wild it probably wouldn't have lasted this long.

kezilulu

HerpMS said:
I would be more than happy to take her and try to teach her to eat! I've rescued animals my whole life. I would hate to see the little one be put down without seeing what it's capable of learning. I'm home full time so I have more than enough time to devote to her. I live in Atlanta though.

Sorry I didn't mean to make you feel guilty I just get sad by things like this, I should stay away from posts that look sad lol but it would be awesome if this lady could help! And I know you do the best by all your torts Yvonne! You rock!
xXx

katrvt

5 Year Member
If you euthanize, don't feel bad. I think it is the right decision in this case. I strongly believe that there are probably even more profound defects that cannot be seen and almost certainly this poor little one will only suffer as a result. Euthanasia is the last gift we can give the non human members of our family sometimes, and, unfortunately in some cases, it is the first as well.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
In regards to the fold, I was going to tell you that I head started 2 hatchlings that were folded sideways and funny shaped. But within a few weeks they rounded up nicely. I expected them to stay oblong, they were that folded.

But this baby has more issues than just slow unfolding. The missing eyes is one thing but then you mentioned no nares... oh boy. That's another level of difficulties.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
In the wild this tortoise would die a slow death . With that being said if you put it down quickly I say you helped keep him from suffering .

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I am so very sorry,Yvonne. You are truly a beautiful soul to put the baby's needs above your wants. My thoughts are with you.