You can't get enough baby sulcatas!

Skymall007

5 Year Member
I was at a reptile expo briefly and I ran into these cuties. It took a lot of strength not to buy all of them and so I am very proud of myself. (Reptile expos for me are like a self discipline thing).

Also a picture of a snapper I thought was adorable

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 148
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 128
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 122
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 119

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats an awesome snapper! Rabbit pellets why rabbit pellets! Shaking fists!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
mike taylor said:

i was thinking the same thing lol that and they look kinda on the dry side

did it say what breed of snapper it was? looks like the HUGE 90 aligator snapper we had in our pond in Arkansas when i was a kid we found it on the side of the road no where near water when it was a baby so i put it in our pound and watched it grow but he was a meanie

Skymall007

5 Year Member
naturalman91 said:
mike taylor said:

i was thinking the same thing lol that and they look kinda on the dry side

did it say what breed of snapper it was? looks like the HUGE 90 aligator snapper we had in our pond in Arkansas when i was a kid we found it on the side of the road no where near water when it was a baby so i put it in our pound and watched it grow but he was a meanie

They probably did say what kind the snapper was but I was so excited to see him I just kept taking his picture and not really reading anything lolz. He was pretty big, I know they can get huge!

The Sulcatas were on the dry side for sure. It was actually kind of weird, because the people at that particular booth seemed like they were selling more mammal stuff (they were on the mammal side). The tort babies were kind of odd for them it seemed. Maybe it was a temporary enclosure I hope. On the other side of the expo the animals were better set up.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's an alligator snapper .

Skymall007

5 Year Member
Oh! Like that! I thought maybe different species of alligator snappers are out there. Are there? I think between the common snapper and the alligator, the alligator is cuter.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You have to have permits to keep them in Texas . Some people say as long as you buy them from out of state and keep the receipt Texas parks and wildlife will let you keep them . I've talked to Texas parks and wildlife and they said you must have permits . They are a protected species in Texas .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I wouldn't even know where to find one. There not native here, so buying one, and then all the PERMITS would be nuts!

Skymall007

5 Year Member
I would be worried to keep one because they can potentially get really big.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have two common snapping turtles . They get big fast . The ones I have I keep outside in a small pond kit . Its hard to find them and when you do find them hopefully you found the right end . They can and will bite your fingers off . Alligator snappers get way bigger and are more aggressive. They are not to be handled more of a looker . I like watching my snappers fish very cool . I have seen videos of people holding the snappers and petting them but thats not natural behavior . The best way I think to keep them is as wild as possible . Give them their own pond stock it with fish and frogs . They do like eating plants and crawfish . They have been known to eat baby ducks off the top of the water . They look all slow but they strike fast and take a finger . Not a good pet turtle for the beginner .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you didn't buy those Sullies. Very cute, but so very dry and not started well. You can already see some pyramiding. The pellets is a big red flag. Coconut coir is much better and just as easy to use.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
mike taylor said:
I have two common snapping turtles . They get big fast . The ones I have I keep outside in a small pond kit . Its hard to find them and when you do find them hopefully you found the right end . They can and will bite your fingers off . Alligator snappers get way bigger and are more aggressive. They are not to be handled more of a looker . I like watching my snappers fish very cool . I have seen videos of people holding the snappers and petting them but thats not natural behavior . The best way I think to keep them is as wild as possible . Give them their own pond stock it with fish and frogs . They do like eating plants and crawfish . They have been known to eat baby ducks off the top of the water . They look all slow but they strike fast and take a finger . Not a good pet turtle for the beginner .

your darn right they have been known to eat ducks the one i was talking about i seen it with my own eye's get a duck it scared me to death just hearing the snap shut take your finger off without even trying

Skymall007

5 Year Member
I remember once watching the Snake Master and he ran into a snapper and it bite through his boot. He was glad to still have his toes intact. Through the boot!!!!! I remember that episode because I didn't expect to see turtles and when one came on screen I got so excited I accidentally punched myself in the nose