Yellowfoot humidity question

Roose Bolton

I see a lot of different info and opinions out there on keeping red/Yellowfoot tortoises. I was just wondering what the humidity should be around. I have a baby yellowfoot in a closed aquarium. The temperature doesnt ever fall below around 80 degrees, and the humidity generally hovers around 85-95%. Usually staying around 90%. I have a reptifogger that is pretty much constantly on low, and I am wondering if a 90% average is too high? Should I try to adjust it closer to 80%? He SEEMS happy and healthy but I am new and want to make sure his care is the best.

BILBO-03

I think that's fine but someone more experienced will chime in!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure about YF but I would try to get it closer to 80. I'm going to assume they may be prone to shell rot like the RF but not positive on this. If they are, you need to keep the top layer of substrate dry. Hopefully an experienced YF owner will chime in here. I can't think of anyone off hand that may have them.

Andy27012

5 Year Member
after reading tons of opinions I decided my smartest option was to ask the breeder I was purchasing the animals from. They told me (this was for redfoots) that they needed a warm high humidity section and a cool low humidity section. I made sure there are hides on both ends so they don't have to choose between being comfy and feeling safe. I was told they need to be able to thermoregulate themselves.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
In closed chamber that reptifogger will eventually need to be turned off or else you end up with really nasty soggy substrate, that is if your closed chamber is pretty well covered without big gaps. I had that happen with my biosubstrate and ended up having to remove more then ½ of it full of earthworms and pillbugs and replacing it with fresh dry one and start over with building up my parameters which takes a while before things down there in biosubstrate start taking care of them self for the most part. Once the biosubstrate is established there is no need for running reptifogger almost at all, but to get to that point it takes a while.

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
after reading tons of opinions I decided my smartest option was to ask the breeder I was purchasing the animals from. They told me (this was for redfoots) that they needed a warm high humidity section and a cool low humidity section. I made sure there are hides on both ends so they don't have to choose between being comfy and feeling safe. I was told they need to be able to thermoregulate themselves.
Very smart. Who doesn't like options, am I right?