Yellowfoot Fruit Intake

Roose Bolton

Hello again!

I'm still deep into the learning curve on my baby yellow-foot tortosie Monty, and have a question about fruit intake. There seems to be some inconsistencies out there about how much fruit a YF should have. I've seen some sites say no more than one time/week, whereas I've even seen a caresheet that says their diet should be up to 40-70% fruit! I'm just wondering what would be the best amount of fruit I should be feeding the little guy? Anybody with any experience with Yellowfoot tortoises out there to give me some advice? Thank you!

I've attached a picture of him... just because.

Monty1.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hello again!

I'm still deep into the learning curve on my baby yellow-foot tortosie Monty, and have a question about fruit intake. There seems to be some inconsistencies out there about how much fruit a YF should have. I've seen some sites say no more than one time/week, whereas I've even seen a caresheet that says their diet should be up to 40-70% fruit! I'm just wondering what would be the best amount of fruit I should be feeding the little guy? Anybody with any experience with Yellowfoot tortoises out there to give me some advice? Thank you!

I've attached a picture of him... just because.

View attachment 200403
He's gorgeous. If it was mine I'd treat it the same as my redfoots. I feed weeds/flowers every day (groceries when desperate) with one piece of mushroom or fruit the size of the head every day. So piece of fruit or mushroom on alternate days with weeds.
Keep the humidity high 90℅ with plenty of cover to dig in(moist coir with spaghnum moss on top). Ambient temp of 80 to 88f with no hot spot that will dry him out. Spray his Carapace every morning and evening to imitate dew.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Assuming that Red and Yellow foot have the same basic diet. (And I DO NOT know that to be true) During the summer months, my gang of Redfoot get only fruit some days. And a ratio of about 70% overall. It depends on what is growing and available to me. Fruit like dates are something that they love and have a lower sugar content than say banana or mango.
Also lots of Hibiscus. Both the leaves and the flowers, Mazuri (Red label) and greenery for then rest of the year with about 30% fruit.

Roose Bolton

@ZEROPILOT that is one of the sites I saw but a lot of them lump red and yellows together, and I read other places that things such as diet can vary between them. Redfoots are way more popular and so in thinking most of the info is really specific to them. I'm hoping someone who raises yellowfoots can give me some advice maybe specific to the species. Help me Obi Wan @Yvonne G you're my only hope! (And/or others)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@ZEROPILOT that is one of the sites I saw but a lot of them lump red and yellows together, and I read other places that things such as diet can vary between them. Redfoots are way more popular and so in thinking most of the info is really specific to them. I'm hoping someone who raises yellowfoots can give me some advice maybe specific to the species. Help me Obi Wan @Yvonne G you're my only hope! (And/or others)
@tortadise has raised yellowfoots with very impressive results.
Even in the wild redfoots have a diverse diet depending on their location, some similar or even identical to yellowfoots diet.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I can imagine in the wild it will also vary greatly between seasons, and availability of different kinds or food.
I have a redfoot and feed her like described above with a head-sized portion of fruit or mushroom almost every day.
Maybe it also depends on the type of fruit you provide. Some fruits are higher in sugar than others for example. The fruits they eat in the wild are not so readily available in my supermarket...