Yard tortoise

mike rowlett

Hey everyone I was just talking with the wife and she suggested that when I get my new tortoise I let him run around in the back yard with the sheep. I would still have a hide box for him but will he no ok with the sheep. I also need to know in the winter will I need to heat him or will he borrow into the ground Thanks mike tex

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just my opinion, but I would not let him run in the same pen as the sheep. If I remember right, you want a sulcata. If it's and adult, he could ram the sheep and hurt them and same as the sheep could hurt your tortoise. Plus the tortoise will eat their poop. He will need a heated night box at the very least for winter. I don't know what kind of winters you have but, @tortadise may be of help

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Should be fine with the sheep. However, sheep deficate quite a lot. This would be a tasty snack for the tortoise. So transfer of pin,hook,round, coccidia and flatworms are highly likely. So I'd be quite careful. It would be best to have him in his own enclosure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The sheep may jump on top of the tortoise (this is more a goat thing) that constant jumping on can lead to health problems including stress. Then of course there is the manure thing and spread of disease/parasites which could go both ways. Also if clumps of wool come off, the tortoise may eat it and get blockage from it. I am not sure high the actual odds are of risks, so it is in the end your gamble to choose to take or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't do it, Mike. Sheep and tortoises might possibly cross paths in the wild, however, "the wild" is a pretty big space. Having them together in a backyard habitat, no matter how big it is, concentrates the contact with feces, etc. Just fence off a portion for the tortoise that the sheep can't get into.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sounds like you've got plenty of space so why not just section off a few thousand square feet for this guy and give him his own space?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm another one who woud not do it. Suppose a sheep kicks a tort? The poor little thing wouldn't be able to react :(. So think twice before you take any further steps.

And a very warm welcome to the :tort: forum.