y'all need to talk me out of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I work at Petco and we just got two new Russian tortoises a week ago...

I'm so TEMPTED... one of them has so much personality! Usually they aren't very happy little guys and sleep most of the day, but we have one (I don't know if he even falls over the 4 inch rule because he's pretty small) that is just so full of personality. He (or she) is constantly getting into trouble, ramming into the other tortoises... trying to burrow under the giant water bowl and getting stuck... I swear we have to right him at least 3 times a day after he flips himself over trying to climb the half log hide.

He looks different than the other torts in there, his shell is way lighter which I think I remember someone saying that meant he's captive bred...

EITHER WAY, how do I resist the urge!?

MovieActor

5 Year Member
I can't talk you out of it. You just talked me into it anyway lol. Go for it!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Hahaha you came to the wrong place to be talked out of it!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am not that fond of Russians. But if I found one that sounded like the one your talking about, I would snatch it up quick. GET IT, GO FOR IT, DON't WAIT. YOU WILL BE SORRY ONCE IT'S GONE.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hmmm... Let me try. I'm pretty good at raining on parades. Do you happen to know about what percent of Petco's Russians are wild-caught versus captive-bred? If most of Petco's Russians are wild-caught, perhaps you should reconsider. Why take home a tortoise from the store if it's just going to be replaced by one that was plucked out of the wild? Whatever wonderful wild ecosystem they are coming from kind of needs them there, don't you think? If a tortoise species can be bred successfully in captivity for the pet trade, why purchase one from a business that supports removing wild ones from their natural range? It doesn't really make sense to me. If you want an unbelievably adorable baby Russian tortoise, you should get one, but from someone who sells only captive-bred. Otherwise, you are just supporting the decline of a beautiful wild animal population. Do you really want to be part of that?

Did that help?

I totally just rained on the happy parade, didn't I. Sorry. If this individual tortoise is sooooooo special that it would make you completely happy to have it, then you should not feel bad about getting it. I'm all for happiness. BUT, maybe as a compromise, you can encourage Petco to source only captive-bred Russians from here on out.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Courtney,
This Russian has already stolen your heart. Think about how sad you'll be if you go in to work one day and find out he has been sold. You'll worry that he's not getting good care.... You'll miss his antics.... I think there's only one sensible thing to do: Buy that tort!!!

P.S. I'm not much for resisting a really good impulse. Can you tell?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He's most likely WC. I have yet to see any CB tortoise in any Petco or Petsmart. Due to the fact that they only sell tortoises 4" or bigger the chances that it would be CB are not very likely. I say go for the purchase, if you really truly want him and you have the funds, space, and time for him then go get him right now!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, what is taking you so long? Go get that darn Russian and get us some pics to look at. We don't want to hear any crying or whining when it's sold and you didn't listen to us. So get it already. What's another tortoise anyway. Will eat the food that goes bad before it can be used up. Another couple hides and dishes, left over wood for an enclosure. I'm sure you get a discount, so that saves you money on some of the stuff. Just get it.
I'm not a good motherly type when it comes to saying no to animals. Now ask me about buying another Xbox game or another paintball gun or the new, over priced, soon to be outdated iphone and I can deff talk you out of it. :D

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
My biggest problem: My mom is in the Bahamas right now and if she came home to a new tortoise... I would be murdered...

shellysmom said:
Hmmm... Let me try. I'm pretty good at raining on parades. Do you happen to know about what percent of Petco's Russians are wild-caught versus captive-bred? If most of Petco's Russians are wild-caught, perhaps you should reconsider. Why take home a tortoise from the store if it's just going to be replaced by one that was plucked out of the wild? Whatever wonderful wild ecosystem they are coming from kind of needs them there, don't you think? If a tortoise species can be bred successfully in captivity for the pet trade, why purchase one from a business that supports removing wild ones from their natural range? It doesn't really make sense to me. If you want an unbelievably adorable baby Russian tortoise, you should get one, but from someone who sells only captive-bred. Otherwise, you are just supporting the decline of a beautiful wild animal population. Do you really want to be part of that?

Did that help?

Thanks, I really did need that

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Oh she'll fall for him right away too and all will be forgiven. As to him/her being WC, should this animal suffer because of what Petco may or not do in terms of replacing him/her? Sounds like a very special animal who deserves a chance to live a long and happy life.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
futureleopardtortoise said:
My biggest problem: My mom is in the Bahamas right now and if she came home to a new tortoise... I would be murdered...

Are you kidding me. This is the best time. She's gone. You can bring everything in you need and she won't see it. Besides, that's what she gets leaving you home alone and not taking you on vacation. Could be worse. You could be having a house party with idiots that destroys the house. Hard lesson, but she needs to be taught:p:D LOL.
Oops, the parent is suppose to be teaching the kid the hard lesson. Oh well sometimes parents need to be taught. LMAO.
Just get it and tell her we made you do it:p

shellysmom

10 Year Member!

shellysmom said:

Did that help?

Thanks, I really did need that

LOL, no problem. I can't believe I'm the only one here who is trying to talk you out of it. There is a complete lack of practicality and willpower on this forum. :p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I work at Petco and we just got two new Russian tortoises a week ago...

I'm so TEMPTED... one of them has so much personality! Usually they aren't very happy little guys and sleep most of the day, but we have one (I don't know if he even falls over the 4 inch rule because he's pretty small) that is just so full of personality. He (or she) is constantly getting into trouble, ramming into the other tortoises... trying to burrow under the giant water bowl and getting stuck... I swear we have to right him at least 3 times a day after he flips himself over trying to climb the half log hide.

He looks different than the other torts in there, his shell is way lighter which I think I remember someone saying that meant he's captive bred...

You don't...the Old Gods want the two of you to be lifelong companions, before it grows unhealthy like most Steppe tortoise do at Petco and PetSmart.

It's meant to be. :cool:

I've always found it's easier the ask forgiveness than permission... :p

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Terry Allan Hall said:

You don't...the Old Gods want the two of you to be lifelong companions, before it grows unhealthy like most Steppe tortoise do at Petco and PetSmart.

It's meant to be. :cool:

That's my other biggest worry... if I don't get him I will have to watch him deteriorate every day and it will be so sad! Oh gosh but I will be in so much trouble! HEY, anyone on the forum want a comical russian tortoise!?

Status
Not open for further replies.