WWYD

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Big dilemma here. We recently purchased a home. We had the intention of expanding our side yard to build an awesome tortoise enclosure for our 2:4 group of Russians. When we first looked into it, this was possible. After further exploration and talking to our city planning department, it appears we are an exception to the exception due to the layout of our neighbor's house. It's complicated, but long story short, side yard awesome tortoise enclosure is a no go. Our backyard is all concrete with a pool. I'm extremely disappointed and I'm not sure what to do now. I have been thinking about all my different options and would love to hear your thoughts, and what you would do.

Here are my options:

1. Split the group and build two raised planter-like enclosures on the concrete. The dimensions would be roughly 4' x 8' each, which I'm worried isn't enough space.

2. Build an inconspicuous front yard enclosure. Our front yard is large and has a HUGE fruitless mulberry tree, as well as relatively tall bushes surrounding the yard. If anyone has done a front yard enclosure that is inconspicuous enough to not have people snooping in (ie some awesome landscaping), I would love to see pics.

3. Sell our tortoises (we'll probably keep one).

I'm not loving any of these options, but it is what I have to work with. So what would you do, and why?

I'll try to upload a pic soon of my front yard.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I don't know your neighbourhood well enough to know if a front yard enclosure is even remotely sensible. We live in a pretty nice area of the UK, but wouldn't risk it.

4'x8' is big enough for one Russian only. Each Russian needs at least that so a group of 3 would need a minimum 12' x 24'

If you can build 2 enclosures at 4' x 8' that's 2 Russians kept separately.

Alyssa

5 Year Member
I don't know your neighbourhood well enough to know if a front yard enclosure is even remotely sensible. We live in a pretty nice area of the UK, but wouldn't risk it.

4'x8' is big enough for one Russian only. Each Russian needs at least that so a group of 3 would need a minimum 12' x 24'

If you can build 2 enclosures at 4' x 8' that's 2 Russians kept separately.

This is what I've been thinking as well. Ugh. Lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if those were my options I would go with the front yard one. I would plant heavily and lots of plans around the fencing to make it look less like a tortoise habitats and more like a garden

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
if those were my options I would go with the front yard one. I would plant heavily and lots of plans around the fencing to make it look less like a tortoise habitats and more like a garden
Can this be done and allow the sun to get in for basking? I fear it would all be shady.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Can this be done and allow the sun to get in for basking? I fear it would all be shady.
the plants inside the enclosure with all be low growing plants therefore still allowing sunshine to get through

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you talking zero lot line? where your property line is actually the side of your house and the side yard belongs to your neighbor? If they're not using it, you might ask them if they would care if you put a tortoise yard there. Be prepared with pictures of nice enclosures to sell your case.

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Are you talking zero lot line? where your property line is actually the side of your house and the side yard belongs to your neighbor? If they're not using it, you might ask them if they would care if you put a tortoise yard there. Be prepared with pictures of nice enclosures to sell your case.

No, our house is on a corner, so our side yard is parallel with the street. This wouldn't be a problem if the neighbors driveway wasn't on that street. We have to have a 15 ft setback from our property line for visibility.