Would you buy artsy stuff for your tortoise enclosures?

TortelliniLover

I'm an artist and tortoise owner, and I like having the pottery I made in my tortoise's habitat, I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in these things as well? I'm also trying to get into making fancy tortoise hides (think hobbit holes). One main problem I think there might be is that I think most tortoises are bigger than my Russian... What do you all think?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I wouldn't, it wouldn't benefit the tortoise only for my enjoyment.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I would be interested in a clay water/soak dish for small tortoises or babies. The pet store dishes are nice and deep but have dangerously steep sides and only one walk-in side. I have seen the cement ones that other members have made and would love one made from clay. A 12-inch dish that has a gentle slope all the way down to a 2-inch depth in the center and a rolled rim, maybe? Owners with baby torts could add rocks in the middle or not overfill for adjustments.
Designs stamped into the dish would help with walking but glazed designs would need to be kept to a minimum.

Another item I've looked for is a toad home. Basically an overturned clay pot with a spot cutout for an entrance. The holes for a toad are generally too narrow and too tall and they are really expensive. You could decorate and glaze just the top inch or two but leave the rest unfinished for the moisture retention attributes. I've shattered a bunch of pots trying to make one myself.

The only reason I wouldn't buy one is if it's over $25. I love my torts but specialty items just force people to DIY.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I would.
I love art in everything. In public spaces and in home and tortoise places. Functional art is awesome great because it is double duty.
If my habitat areas can have some pizzazz with a lovely art piece, a sculpture, a cool clay bowl, mosaic tile .... well, the devil is in the details.
My cares may not care but I think art enriches us so seeing a beautiful piece daily makes me happy.
There is always room for art in my life. More, please.
Do show and tell with pictures!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think terra-cotta plant saucers and pots function great. But I think if you do have artistic talent, which I don't unfortunately, go ahead and use it. You just have to make sure all the materials you use are safe for your tortoise. I tend to go towards or natural items in the enclosure, real plants, real logs, real rocks etc. But I realize some people don't have access to the stuff.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I'm an artist and tortoise owner, and I like having the pottery I made in my tortoise's habitat, I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in these things as well? I'm also trying to get into making fancy tortoise hides (think hobbit holes). One main problem I think there might be is that I think most tortoises are bigger than my Russian... What do you all think?

Yes Yes Yes!

I am not a big fan of any of the major-brand hides that have been offered, as they seem to be more of a "general reptile" item. I've already had to upgrade once and my baby RT has rejected both and has decided to call a flower pot home.

My partner bought fairy garden stepping stones and a teeny tiny ceramic welcome mat for her house LOL. We are of the mindset that decorating is part of the fun :D

I would absolutely love to see your hides, especially if they are of safe materials, and appropriately sized with entrances that make sense for a tortoise.

If you are excited and inspired by it, other people will be, too :<3:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would be interested in a clay water/soak dish for small tortoises or babies. The pet store dishes are nice and deep but have dangerously steep sides and only one walk-in side. I have seen the cement ones that other members have made and would love one made from clay. A 12-inch dish that has a gentle slope all the way down to a 2-inch depth in the center and a rolled rim, maybe? Owners with baby torts could add rocks in the middle or not overfill for adjustments.
Designs stamped into the dish would help with walking but glazed designs would need to be kept to a minimum.

Another item I've looked for is a toad home. Basically an overturned clay pot with a spot cutout for an entrance. The holes for a toad are generally too narrow and too tall and they are really expensive. You could decorate and glaze just the top inch or two but leave the rest unfinished for the moisture retention attributes. I've shattered a bunch of pots trying to make one myself.

The only reason I wouldn't buy one is if it's over $25. I love my torts but specialty items just force people to DIY.
Have you tried the cheap terracotta shallow plant saucers?
Many people use these and sink them level with the surface so the torts can get in and out easily.

Prairie Mom

I like having the pottery I made in my tortoise's habitat, I'm also trying to get into making fancy tortoise hides (think hobbit holes). ?
Heck yes!! I've been thinking about making a hide outside for my Sulcata that mimics a hobbit hole:) I'm a nerd and proud of it! You could easily cover the hobbit mound in herbs and tortoise food. :D

When my young Sulcata lived in a closed chamber, pots were a necessity for us. I put in plants that were meant to be eaten whole, but also plants that I only wanted to be nibbled at. I would put weights at the bottoms of the permanent plant pots to prevent them from being knocked over, so my Sulcata could eat the edges of the plants but not the entire roots etc. I also used home-made pottery, and even spent money on a cute little pot hanger. It was for both my Sulcata and ME. Since our chamber was in the living room, I even bought little green pots that matched my couch throw pillows:). I also have several tortoise yard decorations outside.
chamber pot smaller.jpg chamber pot2 smaller.jpg
home-made pot -------------------------------------------------- Plant hanger

tortoise statue smaller.jpg

NOW SHOW US YOUR STUFF!!! :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I certainly think we need art type things in our enclosures. Not everything should only be for the tortoises, though I like it more when it does double duty. If an enclosure has things which draw in a human and cause them to sit, relax and enjoy the animal more then that is to me the final and completing piece of the puzzle after the enclosure meets the animal's needs . Especially important with folks who significant other and family are not tortoise fans.

Some of my enclosures have the natural look, but a few are more about fun.

Prairie Mom

Some of my enclosures have the natural look, but a few are more about fun.
Jacqui, someday I would LOVE to see you do something like a photo-tour of all your animals and enclosures. I know it would be a lot of work, but please consider doing this and plz tag me when/if you do.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I'm also trying to get into making fancy tortoise hides (think hobbit holes). One main problem I think there might be is that I think most tortoises are bigger than my Russian... What do you all think?

Nothing wrong with only specializing in only the articles for the smaller tortoises.

I would love to see your work.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If objects can be functional for the tortoise, as dishes, hides, even features of interest for climbing, as well as being attractive to Human observers then i think it's an excellent idea.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
I definitely could use a better water dish for outdoors, a cool looking hide for my RT and even a toad hole. Always looking for something creative yet natural looking.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Heck yes!! I've been thinking about making a hide outside for my Sulcata that mimics a hobbit hole:) I'm a nerd and proud of it! You could easily cover the hobbit mound in herbs and tortoise food. :D

When my young Sulcata lived in a closed chamber, pots were a necessity for us. I put in plants that were meant to be eaten whole, but also plants that I only wanted to be nibbled at. I would put weights at the bottoms of the permanent plant pots to prevent them from being knocked over, so my Sulcata could eat the edges of the plants but not the entire roots etc. I also used home-made pottery, and even spent money on a cute little pot hanger. It was for both my Sulcata and ME. Since our chamber was in the living room, I even bought little green pots that matched my couch throw pillows:). I also have several tortoise yard decorations outside.
View attachment 151126 View attachment 151127
home-made pot -------------------------------------------------- Plant hanger

View attachment 151129

NOW SHOW US YOUR STUFF!!! :D

Omg I LOVE that plant hanger idea!

So that's happening.

LOL :<3::<3:

TortelliniLover

I'll probably make them a little deeper from now on, but I'm definitely pleased with this one. Putting it in her enclosure today