Worried Owner (tortoises fight)

Dylanruenz

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
I recently introduced a male Sulcata to my female Sulcata. The male is larger than the female. The male and female seem to fight a lot, they both go heads on looking for trouble, but I am afraid for my female Sulcata. Is it normal for them to clash daily? This has only been the first day, but they have clashed several times now. I just don't want my female to die. The male is quite aggressive.

On a side note, he mounted her two times today.

If it becomes an issue, I can separate the two and they will still have plenty of roam space. There are trees and bushes available for retreating.

Please help me, I want my tortoises healthy!

Thanks

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Best thing to do is separate them now before she gets hurt. Are you positive the smaller one is a female? Could be two males battling it out. And the mounting could be territorial related.

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona
Best thing to do is separate them now before she gets hurt. Are you positive the smaller one is a female? Could be two males battling it out. And the mounting could be territorial related.
I am more than positive the smaller tortoise is a female. It really makes me curious as to why the female goes head on with the larger male looking for a battle.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I am more than positive the smaller tortoise is a female. It really makes me curious as to why the female goes head on with the larger male looking for a battle.

She's not receptive to him for whatever reason. How big is your female?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Male and female either fight or mate. Yours do both. The male will mount her relentlessy. Do her a favor and separate.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Quicker would be best, but wed. will do. Just keep a close eye on the male.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I would like to ask why are you so bent on them mating do you have all the baby's sold . Cause you don't have to mate them . In Phx they are selling for 2 for $70.00 . If you want baby's you may want to just buy them rather then to put your female through this . But it's your tort . Have a great tort day !

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona
I would like to ask why are you so bent on them mating do you have all the baby's sold . Cause you don't have to mate them . In Phx they are selling for 2 for $70.00 . If you want baby's you may want to just buy them rather then to put your female through this . But it's your tort . Have a great tort day !
No babies yet, I was planning on mating then keeping separate after. Then I was thinking about keeping them together, yeah not a good idea! They will stay separate. Since he mounted 2 times today, should I expect eggs in the next 8 weeks?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Mounting does not always eqial eggs

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona
Just installed a fence halfway through my yard separating them! I will let them be together every once and awhile when supervised =)