Worried about melting

Toast

Hi, I found out that you can use a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub to house my tort, toast, but before I switch him to one I'm paranoid that the heat lamp could melt the plastic and hurt toast. My mom said it probably won't but I just want to make sure! Thank you

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
As long as the heat lamo does not touch the plastic everything should be fine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It absolutely will be a problem, melt the plastic, and possibly start a fire, if you are not careful. So…….. Be careful.

Your bulbs should be hung from over head in such a way that they cannot get close to the plastic.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi, I found out that you can use a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub to house my tort, toast, but before I switch him to one I'm paranoid that the heat lamp could melt the plastic and hurt toast. My mom said it probably won't but I just want to make sure! Thank you

Use a "molly screw" like you were going to hang a plant o something. You really must use utmost safty when it come to the hot lights.

Toast

It absolutely will be a problem, melt the plastic, and possibly start a fire, if you are not careful. So…….. Be careful.

Your bulbs should be hung from over head in such a way that they cannot get close to the plastic.
My heat lamp has a stand that hangs above the enclosure and I can move the bars to extend it above it. do you think that a clear Rubbermaid container will still melt like a solid colored one. Sorry if this is a silly question my mom and I aren't sure and want to make sure toast will be okay

Toast

My heat lamp has a stand that hangs above the enclosure and I can move the bars to extend it above it. do you think that a clear Rubbermaid container will still melt like a solid colored one. Sorry if this is a silly question my mom and I aren't sure and want to make sure toast will be okay

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
If your house is reasonably well heated you might get by with a 20W CHE. Put that in one of the wide brooder reflectors and the edge will not get hot.
Plus if your thermostat fails you will not cook your critter to death.
Works for me in a 27-gallon box but then it won't be enough for a 50 gallon. Possibly put one on each end...

karma279

NW Georgia
Polyethylene plastic has a melting point between 250'-350' F... I use them all the time from stand-alones to rack systems with all different types of heat sources... You will be fine.

karma279

NW Georgia

Thanks! I just registered a few hours ago... I've yet taken the time from browsing the forum to post an introduction... I guess I should do that.