Worms?

j_caouette

I was cleaning my tortoises enclosure and saw one of torts poop, so I decided to check to make sure there are no worms and came across this little brown thing, I'm scared that it could be a worm. I just recently took them to the vet and was told they are in great shape. They are both very active and eating.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495246390.325497.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did they check for works when you had them to the vet? If not, then just take in some poop to have it checked. If they already did, then im pretty sure it's not a worn

j_caouette

Did they check for works when you had them to the vet? If not, then just take in some poop to have it checked. If they already did, then im pretty sure it's not a worn
They didn't check for worms but I think I'm going to take them in to be sure. But could worms kill?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It would take a lot and a while. You could just take some poop in. If you have more then one tort and they live together then you would want to treat all of them. If you have their weights, they should be able to give you the meds without bringing them in. However, each vet/clinic is different, so best if you call them and see what their policy is.

j_caouette

It would take a lot and a while. You could just take some poop in. If you have more then one tort and they live together then you would want to treat all of them. If you have their weights, they should be able to give you the meds without bringing them in. However, each vet/clinic is different, so best if you call them and see what their policy is.
Thank you for the help! I greatly appreciate it

Bee62

Germany
If I'm not mistaken, internal parasites are usually white.

Yes, they are. I have already seen worms of dogs, cats, chicken, horses and foxes. These worms had been always white. I have never seen a brown worm, dead or alive.
From the picture I don`t believe that it is a worm.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Could that be a piece of shedding scales?
I don't think so.
I'm odd and I have a fancy, high powered microscope. I regularly poo check.
Many times something worm like is a small stem or vein from a leaf of greenery that has not digested completely.
Sometimes. I'd even say that most times things that are worm shaped are not worms. Especially when they are dark in color. As mentioned previously.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I don't think so.
I'm odd and I have a fancy, high powered microscope. I regularly poo check.
Many times something worm like is a small stem or vein from a leaf of greenery that has not digested completely.
Sometimes. I'd even say that most times things that are worm shaped are not worms. Especially when they are dark in color. As mentioned previously.
Typically veterinarians look not for parasites but for the eggs of parasites

j_caouette

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495588595.890432.jpg
I checked my tortoises Poop again and found these little white bugs crawling around in it. I quickly called my vet and asked to see my torts. They advised me to send them a picture of it to see if it's worms. They got back to me telling me they are just larva of gnats that could be in my enclosure. So I went to check the enclosure see a few gnats in there and now noticing the larva on there food. I want to have a second opinion from you guys to make sure my little guys are okay.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
gnats eggs in substrates; hatch into larvae (worm looking) and soon they metamorphosis into the gnat. The only real way to keep them out is to boil substrate before using it. They do no harm to tortoise or humans. Some people add pill bugs aka "rolly pollies"that will eat the gnats in their larval stage. They too are harmless to tortoises.

j_caouette

gnats eggs in substrates; hatch into larvae (worm looking) and soon they metamorphosis into the gnat. The only real way to keep them out is to boil substrate before using it. They do no harm to tortoise or humans. Some people add pill bugs aka "rolly pollies"that will eat the gnats in their larval stage. They too are harmless to tortoises.
Would my tortoise try to eat the pill bugs?