Won't touch greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
In the past couple of days, my redfoot baby will not touch any type of greens. She will eat fruit easily though. I have mixed fruit in with greens, she picks it out, I have tried just giving her greens and she isn't interested , so will not eat. I've tried several types of greens that are on the list for a redfoot's diet, and nothing will work. She will not go to food on her own, I have to put her right in front of it. She's eat a bit, but doesn't make an effort to move over to where there is more once she has eaten what's in front of her. My lighting/heat/substrate is fine, so I can't figure out what the problem is. She will not eat at all if it is just greens, any suggestions? I had adult redfoots before and they ate with no issues at all. I find having a baby kind of stressful trying to have everything right for her

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I just got one a few days ago that's doing the same thing, but it's an adult. I contacted the previous owner because she didn't eat for a few days--won't touch any greens. He said all she was fed before was Mazuri tortoise chow, so I tried that and she's been eating like a pig. Maybe your little one isn't used to eating greens at all, and that's why... ??? Hopefully someone can chime in with fantastic advice about how to convince torts that greens are yummy!!

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
I am looking into an appetite stimulator for torts. Apparently from what I was told on a tort group it worked very well for the person who told me about it

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Yea, try mazuri and see. We mix our greens, weeds etc with a little mazuri and chopped hay, ours slowly grew to devour it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
chop the greens..
also look into Red Sticks sold by Coastal.. here on this site..
the color stimulates them to eat..

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Laura said:
chop the greens..
also look into Red Sticks sold by Coastal.. here on this site..
the color stimulates them to eat..

I dunno much about the red sticks but I've meant to look into them. Are they the same as mazuri just colored?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
very similar... meant to be more temporary, and not fed as often or as a staple like Mazuri..
at least that is my understanding. It has really helped getting some to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.