Won't eat Mazuri but will eat the broom

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I wonder if the size of the pad or season affects the taste? Our is starting to flower. He gulped it down the first time he tried it. Now, no way. .

Who knows? This is only my second year with her. The only thing consistent so far is her attacking it in the spring, followed by zero interest in the summer. Perhaps she is trying to get hydrated after coming out of hibernation.

I don't know about size of pad or season. A woman at the grocery store where I bought it told me the greener pads were the best for human eating. Again, tortoise did not care.

Nowadays I've more or less accepted she eats what she wants, when she wants. She doesn't get much that wouldn't be in her natural diet, though. I'm sure I'd fuss if I didn't have access to "better" foods.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
The thing I use to get them to eat pellets or new foods is pumpkin or squashes. It's my go to for introducing new foods to Teo. But he hates pellets unless they are soaked and mixed with a healthy spoonful of pureed organic pumpkin. The interesting thing is, the amount of pumpkin mixed in to his pellets is almost non existent, he doesn't mind, it still looks like pumpkin <3

Clawem

If they can eat hay it sounds like he would go right for it. Broom looks like dried hay lol

Cymmie

5 Year Member
The only type of hay I have ever offered my adult tortoise was timothy hay, and he does occasionally nibble through it.