Won't eat and keeps closing eye

AsaGarcia03

My new leopard tortoise is 3" and he won't eat and it takes him a long time to open his eyes helpImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455143162.755137.jpg
This was when he was out walking around

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please tell us about his set up. Temps, humidity, type of lighting and heating your using. If you have any type of coil bulbs that's probably the problem.

AsaGarcia03

Wellington he's in a 40 gallon 100 degrees basking spot 80 cool end and humidity is 50%

AsaGarcia03

And it's the could kind of uvb i have used it for 2 years so I don't have any problems with it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well now you may be having a problem with it with this tort. we see it all the time. Stop using it and then tell me if the problem didn't get better. Also the humidity should be raised to 80% with the high temps required, 50 % is a little low.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also is this guy 2 years or older? 40 gallon too small. Good for Hatchling not a two year old unless he is undersized for his age.

AsaGarcia03

I've used cool for a 2 year old Russian she's in a 100 gallon the leopard is only 7 months Wellington

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't tell you any other way then to turn off the coil bulb and don't turn it back on for about a week and see if the eyes get better. I bet they will. They don't harm all tortoises but they do more then they don't. If the eyes get better, I'm sure they will, then get a tube or MVB UVB bulb and stop with the coil. In the mean time giving warm soaks and using a eye saline will help soothe them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Forgot, you might want to add some baby food carrots to its soak for a couple days too.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Goodness, that eye looks very swollen! There are eyedrops I think @Yvonne G taked about in one of the threads that can be used to help the discomfort. If it's related to the lamp, it is most likely sort of a sun burn. If that's the case, this baby's eye (or eyes)burn horribly, that's why she keeps them closed. I maybe going out of line here but until proper tort eye drops available I'd try to use human lubricating soothing eyedrop, kind you can get over the counter, just to give the baby some relief. She might be suffering really bad discomfort

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In many cases, they eye issues associated with the coiled CFL bulbs are permanent.
If you never had an issue before, it looks like you might now. I'd listen to Wellington or you may find yourself with a blind tortoise.

AsaGarcia03

She is eating now but I noticed a bubble come out of her nose but when I raised humidity she opened it @Tom can you help

Kori5

Bubble from a nose could be a sign of respiratory infection. Keep the temps up. Hope someone helps you :). He is very beautiful.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bubble could also mean it's too dry. I'd up the humidity, keep the temp at about 85-90 and soak daily in Gerber carrots. If she's got a URI, what I've described and same with Wellington she'll get better. I blinded a yearling Sulcata with a coil bulb, so she just ain't throwing words at you. If you are using a coil or spiral bulb, stop now.
I'd put Terramycin eye ointment in both eyes. I think Tyler in LV sells it.....