Witholding food for workout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Normally I soak my tortoises, then feed them and then put them outside, weather permitting.
Today I deviated a bit from my usual routine: After the bath I put them back into their enclosure. I had to wet the Mazuri again, as it was still a bit hard and then got caught up in eating cornflakes:rolleyes:, so 20 minutes passed until the prepared food dish caught my eye. When I came back I saw those two plowing through the enclosure. Normally they eat, walk, sleep, walk, eat and so on. But today they were speeding more than usual (I watched them for a while :cool: )
My question: Would it make sense to wait a bit with the feeding to let them work out a bit ? That is, when they are indoors,because outdoors
they wander between foods anyways.
At the moment it makes sense to me, because the reason for babies to run around and expose themselves would be on the hunt for food and water?
Of course I do not mean to starve them; probably its nothing new, but was just thinking about it and if it would be a helpful way to make sure they get their exercise when indoors :tort:.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
My Russian is moving around like crazy everyday around 7:30AM. Sometimes I'll throw in some spring mix when I want him to calm down, and others I masked him work up an appetite and feed around 8:30-9. My yearling sulcata, on the other hand, will sit and wait until food is provided, or hide in the grass outside. These guys (not sure what you have) are set on a clock when feeding is, and my sulcata grazes all day. Not sure if I'm answering your question, just giving you my experience.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Exercise is food and healthy for emotional well being, to keep their plumbing in good working order--so a little change in order for their routine to the new one sounds as though it is beneficial...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.