With who do I file a complaint about a pet store selling a 1" Leopard Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Can anyone help me in finding who I would file this complaint with so they can go to the pet store and check them out? Not only are they selling this little guy, but there's flies flying around the open dog biscuits that they have for sale, nasty. Please let me know. I have the California Health Department for the flies but not sure about the tortoise.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am sorry to say that the 4" law only applies to turtle...not tortoise (straight from fish and game).....are they being kept well?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
ascott said:
I am sorry to say that the 4" law only applies to turtle...not tortoise (straight from fish and game).....are they being kept well?
That is a serious bummer. Not a little bummer, but a serious one! As if there are any other kinds!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
They had a 4" Sulcata in with him and he was bullying him. He was so small and the Sulcata just kept trying to walk all over him. I have spoken to the manager of that pet store before and didn't want to do it again. I just wanted to file a complaint this time. Plus the flies got to me. :(

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Why didn't they have those 2 in different areas. I guess they don't have the space :( . I hope someone gets that little leopard tortoise soon, for its own safety and health.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The 4" rule goes for turtles AND tortoises! It is a USDA rule, but they don't have the manpower to enforce it. All you can do is call them up and complain. Maybe they'll do something...maybe they won't.

Here in my city, if a vendor is found to be selling small turtles and tortoises, the SPCA usually confiscates them. But I imagine they have a deal going with the USDA for enforcement.

From the CTTC page:

"Contrary to popular belief, although they may have been inspired by consequences of the trade in hatchling red-eared sliders, the regulations cover all chelonians with a carapace less than 4 inches in length. This includes tortoises and box turtles, not just water turtles. The only exceptions are the sea turtles. These are covered by different laws."

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
They always have the Leopards in with the Sulcata's. Last time I was there I called for the manager because the babies didn't have any water and they were busy and didn't seem to care about getting them any. I asked the manager at the time about how small they were but he just said that that referred to turtles and not tortoises. The name of the pet store is Super Pets in Temple City, CA. I am so glad to hear this Yvonne. I am still trying to find a place to file a complaint. I will fie one with the SPCA I guess since I can't seem to find a place to file on any of the California Health or FDA sites.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yvonne and Candy, I am on the phone to call the two game wardens who gave the info to me to the carpet....will let you know what info I can get as a result......hate poor poor improper information, no matter from who...on the trail here....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen the reg. It does apply to all species, but there are easy loopholes to use. Its a stupid law anyway. There is no reason why we should not be allowed to sell baby torts and turtles. I prefer to start my own.

The authorities do not have a clue about tortoise bullying or not mixing species. Complaining to Johnny Law will get you nowhere. I think your best bet is to try to educate the employees, managers and owners. They will likely be resistant at first, but persistence usually pays off.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello Candy and Yvonne, so I called my local Warden, this time, and while he was not on he duty he took the time to look through the USDA regs and conf that yes indeed the 4" or less rule DOES APPLY TO TURTLE AND TORTOISE ALIKE EXACTLY AS YVONNE STATED :D (thank you Yvonne for saying something that caused me to get pissed me off, not at you, but in the way that I was given wrong information) so the game warden will forward the information to his USDA contact via email and request them to inspect the pet shop....it may take a few days but it will be responded to.....Candy, I have to personally apologize to you for the information that I forwarded to you that was wrong information from Fish and Game (not my local warden but other area) as reliable source. This again reminds me that even they don't know all that is pertinent. Yvonne, thank you very much for confirming to me what I had previously thought as well, but was misguided by the erroneous information given to me. You can bet I will check all information of this kind on my own from this point forward :cool:

Candy, I will get the shop name/city to the local game warden so he can forward to USDA...

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Candy said:
They always have the Leopards in with the Sulcata's. Last time I was there I called for the manager because the babies didn't have any water and they were busy and didn't seem to care about getting them any.

I agree with Tom, it's a stupid law and there's no reason for it to be in place. Fortunately, leopards hatch bigger than 1" length, so your measurements are probably a bit off.

I don't keep water in with my babies. Are you gonna call the cops on me? I think you're just overly concerned. But I still love you Candy.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have never seen a leopard tortoise so small in size in person. Even the Egyptians I have had were larger as babies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Small leopards, about 1", do exist. A pet shop here has a leopard that is under 1", it's a little weird looking...almost translucent.

I'm on the "this is a stupid law" band wagon. Richard Fife explains the law pretty well on his web site, as well as his personal efforts to have the law changed.

http://www.ivorytortoise.com/information/documents/four_inch_tortoise.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just read Richard' article. Anyone remember the movie called "Brazil". Sounds like Richard needed a form 4473 stroke 6...

We need a new government...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Neal said:
Small leopards, about 1", do exist. A pet shop here has a leopard that is under 1", it's a little weird looking...almost translucent.

I'm on the "this is a stupid law" band wagon. Richard Fife explains the law pretty well on his web site, as well as his personal efforts to have the law changed.

http://www.ivorytortoise.com/information/documents/four_inch_tortoise.html

I have seen photos of such. I have just never seen one in person.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I think laws in England are a lot tighter when it comes to animals.
However, I would know for sure.

But how could you walk out of the pet shop without buying the baby leopard? Sorry but it would not have stayed there if it were me in that shop!
The amount of animals i've felt sorry for and come home with is crazy, but i either keep them or find them really good new homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.