Winter Orchids

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
19340_1186141770316_1419049_n.jpgorchid2.jpgPaph. Gilbert Blythe.JPGcoelogyne mossiae.JPGL. anceps.JPGcatt.PercivalianaJewel.JPG

Here are a few of the orchids that I have in-bloom at this time. All but one are species. If anybody is interested in growing orchids it their home, I would be happy to help you. Just ask question I am here to help. All of my orchids are grown on windowsill. And are out-of -doors in the spring to fall. I can add a list of names of the orchids; however, I don't know how the list will show up on this formate. So if there is one that you think that you would like to grow, just tell me the color! LOL!

Thanks for looking, and I hope that you enjoy! :)
Claudia

becky and river jan 2013.JPG Becky and River having a snack!

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
All of my Phaleonopsis(sp?) are starting to bloom. I really enjoy how long the flowers last on the orchids. I have many bromeliads and the flowers last only a few days on most of them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice. I used to have a few. Lived a long time, but then just started to wither away and couldn't save them. Two at the same time. I had changed the soil/bark, could that have been it? Just wondering if you would have an idea.
Thanks for sharing yours:)

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I have a number of orchids, so I have something blooming all year round. One of my Paphiopedilum liemianum ('Pussycat' am/rhs x self) has been in bloom for what seems a year... Enjoy your Phal, they are really beautiful.

~C

wellington said:
Very nice. I used to have a few. Lived a long time, but then just started to wither away and couldn't save them. Two at the same time. I had changed the soil/bark, could that have been it? Just wondering if you would have an idea.

Hi Wellington, Re-potting an orchid can be a bit tricky. First, it has to be at the right time of the year. Second the media; bark, sphagnum, etc., what works well in your area (climate), or the size of the roots. When you re-pot the orchid has to be tight in the media. You should almost be able to pick the orchid (holding the orchid) with the roots being able to hold the pot in place. A good spike (wood) will help hold the plant in place so that the roots will start to mend and grow.

Also overwatering can kill an orchid after a repot. Let the orchid sit for a while before you start to water again. And water the orchid really well before you use fertilizers. This will help the roots to take in the nutrients without burning.

Do you remember what type of orchids they were?

~C

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Pokeymeg said:
I love Lady Slippers and Cattleyas :) Beautiful!

If you love Paphiopedilums (Lady Slippers), you would love Phragmipediums!

phrag Schroderae.jpg
Schroderae

Schlimii \'Wilcox.jpg
Schlimii 'Wilcox'

Sedenii.jpg Sedenii

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
CLMoss said:
Pokeymeg said:

Schroderae

Schlimii 'Wilcox'

Sedenii

Beautiful!! I'm so jealous, I want a greenhouse!

CLMoss said:
Pokeymeg said:

Schroderae

Schlimii 'Wilcox'

Sedenii

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Pokeymeg said:
CLMoss said:
Pokeymeg said:

Schroderae

Schlimii 'Wilcox'

Sedenii

CLMoss said:
Pokeymeg said:

Schroderae

Schlimii 'Wilcox'

Sedenii

LOL! I don't have a greenhouse! I grow on my windowsill, then from spring to fall they are out-of-doors in my backyard.

~C

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
CLMoss said:
I have a number of orchids, so I have something blooming all year round. One of my Paphiopedilum liemianum ('Pussycat' am/rhs x self) has been in bloom for what seems a year... Enjoy your Phal, they are really beautiful.

~C

wellington said:

Hi Wellington, Re-potting an orchid can be a bit tricky. First, it has to be at the right time of the year. Second the media; bark, sphagnum, etc., what works well in your area (climate), or the size of the roots. When you re-pot the orchid has to be tight in the media. You should almost be able to pick the orchid (holding the orchid) with the roots being able to hold the pot in place. A good spike (wood) will help hold the plant in place so that the roots will start to mend and grow.

Also overwatering can kill an orchid after a repot. Let the orchid sit for a while before you start to water again. And water the orchid really well before you use fertilizers. This will help the roots to take in the nutrients without burning.

Do you remember what type of orchids they were?

~C

Thanks for the info. I think I did everything wrong:( I don't remember what kind they were. Two were the same kind, purchased from Home Depot. The third one I got from a neighbor. It was different from my other two and had really big flowers, but I don't know the names of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.