willow moving away from her heat lamp

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
My 10 month old sulcata, Willow keeps moving AWAY from her heat lamps, day or night. She only does this IN her enclosure but does not avoid the sun when outside. She eats like crazy, is not constipated and is quite active. Lately the daytime temps ( if kept inside) have been anywhere from 95 to 108. if it gets hotter then that I take her out or turn off the heat lamp. in my bedroom it does get quite hot. I know she should be outside ALL THE TIME but with my cruel animal hating neighbors it isn't possible untill I am moved to another house.. Hopefully in the country with a LARGE ( 10 acre) yard. I even had to move her outdoor area becuz the brat kids from next door dumped BLEACH where she was eating. Luckily the vet says she is OK so I moved her in time. DO you guys think her enclosure could be too hot? in the winter she never did this. She also seems to CRAVE attention from anyone in my family and will wake up instantly if she hears us.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
When does she move from the heat lamp we need more info. Does she move after an hour? Or 30 mins? Or 10 seconds? If it's after 15 mins to an hour it's fine it means she warmed herself up then moved on with her business. If she moves immediately it may be too warm. Also if she is warm enough already she may not need to bask. My tort if indoors in the winter normally only basks for a short period of time in the morning then maybe a couple other times throughout the day for a short time.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
U don't want your tort basking under the heat lamp all day long that would indicate your enclosure is not warm enough

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Ok I guess her enclosure is OK then. Willow only basks for like 10-15 minutes in the morning.. but this is during summer. at night summer or winter she always went to her "den" dug a burrow in her cypress mulch and slept at night. Just a worried tortie momma I guess.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
I think she's probably ok it way be warm enough in the enclosure that your tort doesn't need to bask much

krh11b23

5 Year Member
If your tort stays in it's hide all day or in a corner all day then it may be too warm

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
she has been.. untill she hears me then she is VERY active and comes right over to me like.. lets play! today she sat under the lamp more but it was abit cooler.