Will they ever be able to live together?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I have two juvenile box turtles roughly the same age. They live separately right now as they are vastly different in size. I am hoping that eventually when the smaller one gets a bit bigger they coud live together. Every once in a while I take them both out at the same time so they can "meet" each other. The larger one displays behavior that looks like bullying. Is it possible that when the smaller one gets bigger she would no longer do this "bullying"? The smaller one will never be as large as the big one due to genetics but I'm wondering if when they are closer in size they would get along better. Right now the larger one weighs just over 600 grams and is about 6 inches SCL. The smaller one is 219 grams and is probably about 4 inches SCL or just a little over that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would venture to say, not so much :D The size of the turtle is no where as important as the size of the attitude in the mind of the turtle...so if you have a turtle that clearly shows they are the dominant one...then it is likely this will remain the same. Now, that is not to say they can never utilize the same space if it is large and supervised and lots of places to hide and the sun and the moon are aligned and the tide is just so and you stand on one foot and shake your butt while wishing all goes well :p....so basically, I would plan to leave them set up in their own enclosure and I personally would let them have exercise/yard time individually---these little guys pack a mighty bite and there really is no need to subject the submissive one to the dominance of the other turtle....

Perhaps when you are certain of sex of the turtles and if you should acquire more of them in the right gender perhaps then you can have a large enough space for them to enjoy each other without biting...well, that is if you are fully prepared for baby turtles and housing/rearing them as well....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Angela makes a whole lot of good points. I would add that a pair is never a good idea. Singles are best. Groups sometimes works, but pairs are almost always a problem.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, I was just curious to whether it was the current size issue. I know the larger is female. I'm not sure on the smaller one yet. But they can stay in separate enclosures if need be. It's not a biggie. Thanks for the input from both of you.

It's funny....I adopted Peanut (the larger one) when she was 7 months old from a batch of baby boxies turned into rescue. The rescuer picked Peanut out for me because of her bold personality even as a hatchling. That should have been a clue she would be a dominate one!!

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I feel your pain. My favorite is my trouble maker. I added a second girl to compliment my two boys hoping that more love interest would stop the boys from fighting. However, I don't think they're ever going to be able to live together. One of the boys does okay with the two girls, who act like each other don't exist. If I put in the trouble maker, he either attempts to mount one of the girls incessantly, or he attacks the other boy without end.

So, I feel kind of crappy that the bold one, my favorite, has to spend most of his time penned in a smaller section of the enclosure. I know they don't really care about companionship, but it matters to my feeble human brain. Thems the brakes, though, I guess.

pandio

Boise, ID.
I've gotten really lucky. I had 4 boys in with my 2 girls with no issues. I have recently rehomed one boy though (to a family member). I do have a very large outdoor enclosure though with lots of hiding spots and plants.