will my tortoise be okay for now?

nicole r

Location (City and/or State)
las vegas, nevada
ill be gone the 26-14 and my moms friend is taking care of my russian tort for me. he only has a uva for now and she'll probably take him out every once in a while but probably not more than half an hour. will he get sick in that time if he doesnt get any sunlight ? is there anything i can do for him so he'll be okay and not possibly get a risk of having MBD?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If she can take him out every day or every couple days for 1/2 to 1 hour of sunlight, he will be fine, no worries.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise will not develop MDB in that space of time. Just take him out a bunch before you go and when you get back. They can store D3 in their fat cells.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
18 days?
No time at all.
A bit of sunshine would be a bonus, they love the sun, but no harm will be done.
But be sure to expect him to be in a major hump with you, when you get back, my Tidgy always is.

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
18 days?
No time at all.
A bit of sunshine would be a bonus, they love the sun, but no harm will be done.
But be sure to expect him to be in a major hump with you, when you get back, my Tidgy always is.
alright!! ive heard of some people saying they can get sick in around 2 weeks but i wasnt sure. thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
alright!! ive heard of some people saying they can get sick in around 2 weeks but i wasnt sure. thank you!

Many of my smaller tortoises go 3-4 weeks with no sun in the winter time on occasion. I use no indoor UV and they do just fine. Been do it that way for a long time. In the old days, we didn't even have indoor UV...