Will Ants hurt my Sulcata Tortoises?

SulcataTort102

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
I finally have this huge-*** space for my tortoises to go strolling.
Only problem is,for some reason,they keep getting attracted to some few heaps of stones and pebbles,where I can clearly see a lot of ants inside.
I know fire ants pose a threat,but what about regular black ones?
Will they harm tortoises?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
If there's a LOT, then a problem could be posed.
The way I judge it, if I sit on the ground, and feel comfortable, without having to constantly check for things crawling up my sleeve, then you're good. If you have to flick ants off of you, then you have an issue. If you've got an ant problem, you can scatter around ant killer (AND WAIT A YEAR TO PUT THE TORTOISE ON THE AREA). Or you can find a new area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SulcataTort102 said:
I finally have this huge-*** space for my tortoises to go strolling.
Only problem is,for some reason,they keep getting attracted to some few heaps of stones and pebbles,where I can clearly see a lot of ants inside.
I know fire ants pose a threat,but what about regular black ones?
Will they harm tortoises?

This depends on what type of ants you have over there and which products you have to deal with them.

SulcataTort102

5 Year Member
Malaysia
tffnytorts said:
The way I judge it, if I sit on the ground, and feel comfortable, without having to constantly check for things crawling up my sleeve, then you're good. If you have to flick ants off of you, then you have an issue. If you've got an ant problem, you can scatter around ant killer (AND WAIT A YEAR TO PUT THE TORTOISE ON THE AREA). Or you can find a new area.
So....the only way to test this is to sit on each stone heap and wait for me to get swarmed? :eek:
So it's sitting around or ant killer...hmm...
Will boiling water do the trick?I heard of people flooding
ant infested areas with over 9000 Celcius water(lol),so I'll try that.Ain't gonna use no chemicals,(if any is contained in this ant killer thingy).
Thanks. :D I'll do the above,not risking my *** getting bitten my ants.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Boiling water will only make them move. Buy Diatemaceous Earth (Food Grade) at you local feed store or plant nursery. Spread it over every surface you can in the area making sure to cover the ants. If it rains within three days, reapply when it gets dry out. I used it last year and have yet to see an ant. The best part is even if the torts digest it, it will only kill any worms or parasites they might have!

Again, make sure it is food grade pure and not a pesticide that contains it!

Reactions: frm

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Will Ants hurt my Sulcata Tortoises?

SulcataTort102 said:
tffnytorts said:
So....the only way to test this is to sit on each stone heap and wait for me to get swarmed? :eek:
So it's sitting around or ant killer...hmm...
Will boiling water do the trick?I heard of people flooding
ant infested areas with over 9000 Celcius water(lol),so I'll try that.Ain't gonna use no chemicals,(if any is contained in this ant killer thingy).
Thanks. :D I'll do the above,not risking my *** getting bitten my ants.

I was being a smart@ss.
Its mostly about common sense. If there's enough where they cover the ground, then you have a problem. A few ants are fine.