Why Won't Skurt Eat?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
You seem to have everything set up correctly to me, it's just a matter of time for him to settle down.

Bee62

Germany
@daniellenc
In your first post you wrote that you wake your tort baby up in the early morning and place him or her in front of the food.
Please don`t do that . Why ?
Because only a predator would wake up a tort and pull it out of the burrow ...
I never wake my torts up in the morning. I switch on the lights and the heat lamp to increase the warmth. They slowly awake because the notice the light and the warmth. After 10 minutes they slowly come out of their burrow and place themselves under the heat lamp.
After another 30 minutes under the heat lamp they slowly start to move and search for food.
Do you see what I am trying to explain ? Torts are slow. They have their own "speed" to do things. When they are a little bit colder and sleepy they need time to "awake". To force them with an unnatural "wake up" will make them shy and they don`t want to eat when you want them to.
Place the food in the enclosure of your tort and let him decide when he will eat. Try to feed him after a long warm soak. Then he will be more active and mayby hungry.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Mine get their "long, warm soak" every morning and always pounce right on the food after that!
Of course, by "pounce" I mean a tortoise style pounce - a SLOW one!:D

daniellenc

Maryland
Ok gross but I got two poops while soaking!! Not much more eating but poop!

Attachments

• IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    761.7 KB · Views: 7

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
After thinking about it... Moss may not be a good idea as Tom said he doesn't use it anymore because his hatchlings were eating it...maybe your baby isn't eating because he's nibbling on moss all day? Glad his innards are working...

daniellenc

Maryland
Not sure but possible he hasn't eaten much still. Carpace was 82.5 which should be good. But eating is a nope still.

daniellenc

Maryland
Pooping while soaking is common and natural.

Yes I know I was happy to see it lol. Today he did 2 more poops during his soak but other than a few bites here and there a few times a day he's not once made a dent in his food. I got Mazuri which he ignores, I've tried fruit, mushrooms, ton of different greens and weeds, flowers, and cactus.......he probably eats a teaspoon of food a day. I've heard he should be eating a pile the size of him but I gotta say he doesn't eat close to that much.

daniellenc

Maryland
More poop yesterday and today. Dinner tonight was white clover, dandelion flowers and leaves, Rose of Sharon flowers, Maxuri, and hosta leaves. I think he ate exactly one clover. It's been 9 days and 4 poops when do I worry?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It seems to me that everything is now as it should be for him, your having all the right temps and humidity etc., so if he is eating a bit and pooping regularly, I would not worry. Take some close up shots of him for us when you get a chance, but try not to handle him too much, as maybe it is stressing him out and he can't settle down and feel safe?

daniellenc

Maryland
He got his first baby food soak today because he didn't eat much at all again Sunday and didn't touch his breakfast today. However, after his soak he ate for 20 minutes straight but seriously I keep hearing about them eating a pile their size? He eats a pile the size of 2 quarters as in the size of the coin a day. Unless he's eating or soaking he's ALWAYS sleeping! He's only three months old but I thought he'd be a bit more active. He does spend 30 minutes a day trying to escape his water dish so he's not lethargic per say but unless he's active at night when I'm asleep I can safely say he sleeps 22 hours a day.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He got his first baby food soak today because he didn't eat much at all again Sunday and didn't touch his breakfast today. However, after his soak he ate for 20 minutes straight but seriously I keep hearing about them eating a pile their size? He eats a pile the size of 2 quarters as in the size of the coin a day. Unless he's eating or soaking he's ALWAYS sleeping! He's only three months old but I thought he'd be a bit more active. He does spend 30 minutes a day trying to escape his water dish so he's not lethargic per say but unless he's active at night when I'm asleep I can safely say he sleeps 22 hours a day.
"Trying to escape his water dish..."????? What? If he spends 30 minutes a day trying to get out of his water dish, there is certainly something wrong going on here! I will bow out of this now and leave it to the experts. Good luck - your tortoise looks beautiful.

daniellenc

Maryland
"Trying to escape his water dish..."????? What? If he spends 30 minutes a day trying to get out of his water dish, there is certainly something wrong going on here! I will bow out of this now and leave it to the experts. Good luck - your tortoise looks beautiful.

As in his soak tub he climbs quit fine out of his actual drinking dish. His soaking tub is too tall to climb on purpose though he sure tries.