Why is a Box Turtle not a Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riperoo

5 Year Member
I know this question has probably been asked before, but why is a box turtle, not classified as a tortoise? Seems a little strange to me. I am sure there is a very logical answer, I just can't seem to find it.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Box turtles are members of family Emydidae (North American Basking Turtle) which a number of similarities. Tortoises belong to the family Testudinidae which share a number of similarities. An example of this is that torts walk on their toes on pillar like legs while turtles walk "flatfooted" on splayed legs with more or less webbed feet. All this said I consider boxies honorary torts.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Yeah, what iTort said.

The actual classification of animals is a science called taxonomy. For things to be considered as related, they have to share physical characteristics that breed true between them. With new science available, they also have to share DNA, etc.

All true tortoises share a thick, heavy shell (except the Pancake, and exceptions like this are allowed if they meet other rules), 'elephant-like' feet with no exposed toes, and more hidden things, like skull issues.

Anatomically, a Box Turtle is more like a Wood Turtle (Glyptemys insculpta) than a tortoise, so it is more related to them rather than to the tortoises.

Sure, they BEHAVE like tortoises, but they behave even more like Wood Turtles that get further from the water.

Riperoo

5 Year Member
That is really informative, thanks, just one of those things that make me scratch my head. I always assumed a Turtle was more of water based crature and a tort was land based creature. But you know what they say about assuming something.......

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Itort said:
All this said I consider boxies honorary torts.

I like this clarification. I had wondered too since they look so much like tortoises, on the surface at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.