Why Greeks?

counting

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Why did you choose a Greek? What are your favorite things about the species? Behaviour and personality wise how would you describe them?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We've had a Greek for over 40 years - from a time when you got a tortoise and the species was irrelevant.

They're one of the more straightforward species to care for along with their Testudo cousins, Russians and Hermann's.

They can still grow pretty big - ours weighs 7lb and is over 10 inches in length.

Like the other Testudo, they're territorial loners and are best kept singly.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I didn't choose Tidgy, she was a rescue and as this country has Greeks as its native tortoise species, I found myself a Greek tortoise owner.
I also help care for another dozen tortoises in the area and sometimes get to see them in the wild, as well as encountering them elsewhere in shops, markets and other peoples homes.
I love them.
Though a few are shy, i find the majority to be curious, active, outgoing and reasonably content in human company. They are amusing, can learn and remember and are generally good-natured.
I love them, did i say ?:<3:

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Well I'm considering getting a tort and trying to decide on species. Your description of Greeks sounds lovely!

What I'll be looking for is:
-On the smaller side. ~5-~10 inches
-A good species for a new tortoise owner with Zero reptile experience but lots of motivation to learn!
-Solitary ( no buddies needed!)
-Not requiring a lot of human companionship, but friendly and accepting of some contact, nice walks in the outdoors ( in an enclosed safe space!)hand feeding and will interact with people.
-will not be overly anxious in an active environment. I have kids who may be loud and busy (though would not be grabbing/handling/poking/ harrassing/etc the tort).
-capable of doing well in a primarily indoor only set up ( with daytime outside enclosure access during summer months)
-no mandatory hibernation
-vegetarian

How well would a Greek fit the bill?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well I'm considering getting a tort and trying to decide on species. Your description of Greeks sounds lovely!

What I'll be looking for is:
-On the smaller side. ~5-~10 inches
Greeks, Hermann's and Russians all fit this. However, small size doesn't mean small space. Even the smallest species need a minimum of 4'x8' floor area, indoors or out, unless they are babies.
-A good species for a new tortoise owner with Zero reptile experience but lots of motivation to learn!
-Solitary ( no buddies needed!)
Greeks, Hermann's and Russians all fit this.
-Not requiring a lot of human companionship, but friendly and accepting of some contact, nice walks in the outdoors ( in an enclosed safe space!)hand feeding and will interact with people.
-will not be overly anxious in an active environment. I have kids who may be loud and busy (though would not be grabbing/handling/poking/ harrassing/etc the tort).
You need to understand that tortoises are solitary and they're all individuals. They are happiest with all 4 feet on the ground in a familiar enclosure. They spend a lot of time "not doing a lot"... basking and digesting food. They don't really interact with people. They'll come for food once they're used to you, their home and the routine. If your family wants an interactive pet then a furry one is what you need. Hand feeding occasionally is fine and they will accept it once they've got used to the idea, but do it too often and they start only accepting food from the hand and that causes its own problems.
-capable of doing well in a primarily indoor only set up ( with daytime outside enclosure access during summer months)
Indoor only is fine, but only if you can provide sufficient space.
-no mandatory hibernation
No tort has to hibernate. All three of these can. With food and space difficulties, you may find it easier to do so. Hibernation is not recommended innthe first year of ownership.
-vegetarian
Diet for all three is leafy, weedy greens. They can't digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally. Lettuce contains little fibre and nutrients so you will need to learn about the plants growing round you and their suitability.

Finally, think about vacations and other time away. You can't put a tortoise in kennels and they don't travel well. Who will care for your tort when you cannot be there for whatever reason?

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Thanks guys!
I also posted on the general thread and I forget some of that info isn't in this post!

Looking at around a 30 square feet for an enclosure. Planning on having it custom built a family member who is a craftsmen. Looking at smaller because that's what I prefer and I feel like a larger tort would need more space.
We have furry family pets. I'm looking for a long lived family pet who isn't going to get depressed in a busy family who may not have the time to lavish hours of affection on it. But will acknowledge our existence and get excited to get food. And will tromp around outside in the summer and allow some touching. Honestly I'm looking for something that's good on its own with regular care, but can be touched occasionally, hand fed, watched, etc. Not looking for another dog!
Luckily my sister and her fiancee are reptile experienced and would have no problem taking care in case of vacations and so on. We have other pets so always get someone to come to out house to care for animals if we are away.
Glad to hear no species had mandatory hibernation needs! I'd mostly been researching Russians but I've broadened out and I'm seriously considering a Greek but haven't done my research yet!
Leafy weedy greens is all good in the summer. I've no desire to share my fruit haha. In the cold months I've been researching my options for store bought greens and growing weeds indoors.

Thank you so much for the help.

I didn't mention here but I will not be adopting a tort into the family for a good while, just seriously considering it once some of older pets pass and my kids get a bit older ( I have three sons 3.5,22m and 2m). I'm a librarian and a compulsive researcher though so I need to have all my facts and know everything I need to know well in advance, haha.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Btw, thank you everyone for the thoughtful responses. I can tell you all are passionate about your animals and making sure a new owner knows what they are getting into!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
A Greek would fit the bill.
Go Greek! :<3:
I think I've found a Greek breeder like 4 hours away for when the time is right. I'm feeling good about the idea of a Greek so far. I was originally considering a Russian but I can't find a breeder close enough for my comfort, plus Greeks are such cuties!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They are.:)
Another point.
NEVER let your dog alone or unsupervised with your tortoise (I'm sure you wouldn't but I just have to say because we've seen to many tragedies here)
Even the sweetest natured, most obedient dog will one day see the tort as a chew toy, they even break into or jump in outdoor enclosures to get at them. Not the dog's fault, but it happens oh, so often.:(
Make sure it's a reputable breeder. look at the tortoise, check it's eyes are fully open and bright. See if it is active and if it feels nice and heavy for its size. Ask about it's diet and if its been brought up humid. If it's raised dry, you could have big problems further down the line.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
My dog is a bit on the older side and no prey drive- but the thing about dogs is never trust theme with small animals or kids. Ever.

Thanks for the tips about choosing a healthy baby. I'll be sure to do my research on the breeder!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi,
You got a lot of sound advice there. Just wanted to add, from my brief experience with two Greeks, is that they have distinct personalities. One of mine was very shy initially and wouldn't eat for a week but now he's used to us and rams my ankles sometimes to get me out of his territory. After he gets his food from me, that is.
The other one, a female, has been with humans for longer and she's very friendly. She follows me around and seems to enjoy attention. Or maybe it's her way to get extra snacks.
One likes to dig and climb (the female), the other likes to hide under a bush and sleep most of the day (the male).
Whatever you choose, I bet you'll love your little one and have a great time just watching him/her grow.