Why don't we help them out of the shell?

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
i am sure there is a reason for this, is it to help them gain strength? I just wonder why no one helps them out of the shell.

Rue

Canada
If I recall...it's to do with them needing time to set all their physiological processes. Weak turtles won't manage it...and will die and be culled. Strong babies will be ready to go...and they need that strength to be able to survive. It's a rough world for baby turtles.

I read paper...if I ever find it again I will post a link...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all, some of the tiny blood vessels running around just inside the shell might still all be connected and if you break one the baby will bleed to death. Secondly, fighting to get out helps strengthen the baby. The only "helping" I do is to make sure the head is uncovered. Sometimes the interior membrane is stuck on the head and as the air gets to it, it dries and could possibly cover the nares, suffocating the baby.

It's really a case-by-case occurrence. Sometimes they need help, but most of the time its best to leave them alone.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They need to get out on their own. Sometimes they pip, but need to stay in the egg for a while. Yolk sac absorption is one reason why. Trying to "help" them usually does more harm than good.

The only thing I do is add a little moisture to the incubation media after I see the first pip. The added moisture and humidity will help prevent the issue Yvonne mentioned. When they step out of the egg on their own is when I move them to a brooder box until the yolk sac absorbs and the umbilical scar closes up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California