Why does one of my desert torts like to eat soil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a new mom to 2 juvenile desert torts living outdoors in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California, Gomez and Morticia. Their substrate is a mix of soil and sand (I understand the sand is a point of contention with some folks here -- we're working on it).

Anyway, Gomez, the male, likes to eat the soil (not eat the sand, only the dark potting soil). Is this common? Does it mean he's missing some nutrients he should be getting in his diet? Morticia, the female, has the same diet and substrate and I don't see her eating the soil. But maybe she's just stealthier.:)

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Sounds like he is looking for something more in his diet. Have you tried leaving a cuttlebone out for him, or varying up the diet a bit?

-Jen

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
LLLReptile said:
Sounds like he is looking for something more in his diet. Have you tried leaving a cuttlebone out for him, or varying up the diet a bit?

-Jen

Agreed. Some minerals or lack of will cause specimens to eat rocks, dirt, debris that typically expulge a smell to them that is rich in mineral or calcium. What diet have you been feeding? I also agree the cuddle bone would be a good idea. I would remove the sand soon though. Especially if your guy is eating the dirt. The sand is still in the dirt and cause impaction.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Hmm, thanks everybody, sounds like my little guy does need a cuttlebone. Anyone have a preferred online source for buying them or advice on size, etc? My nearest pet store is so dog/cat-centric, I have yet to find anything useful for a tort there.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Any cuttle bone for birds will work. Reptile stores too have a cuttle bone block with cactus mixed in it. Ive never used it but its worth a try.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
It's bagged garden soil from Home Depot. I haven't noticed any white pieces in it, but it's darker than regular backyard dirt, and was added to help the native grasses we planted in the enclosure get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.