Why Does Oli Fall Asleep When It's Warm?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I've had Oli:<3: for almost five years. Recently, I've noticed that when it's relatively warm, he falls asleep, and by the same token, he is wide awake so long as it is cold, freezing cold. :rolleyes: He does not hibernate any more, but at the same time the issue has somewhat "worried" me, as we all know that torts (and reptiles in general) do the opposite.

Room temperature reaches about 28 degrees C when it's extremely cold outside, and Oli :<3: obviously has his UVB lamp in his enclosure.

Your help, advise and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Gillian, typical of Oli to do the opposite of what you would expect!!:rolleyes:
I don't know the answer but do you think the cold maybe drives him into action to find somewhere to hibernate, whereas when he is warm he is comfortable? If you are still hand feeding him maybe he doesn't feel the need to go looking for food. as he has learnt it will come to him. I'm just guessing here Gillian so it may be complete nonsense. Hopefully someone with more experience of tort behaviour will have better ideas.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What are the temperatures inside when it's hot out? 28 C is quite warm for 'extremely cold'. Some tortoises aestivate when it gets too hot. That may be more the inclination you're seeing in Oli.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian, typical of Oli to do the opposite of what you would expect!!:rolleyes:
I don't know the answer but do you think the cold maybe drives him into action to find somewhere to hibernate, whereas when he is warm he is comfortable? If you are still hand feeding him maybe he doesn't feel the need to go looking for food. as he has learnt it will come to him. I'm just guessing here Gillian so it may be complete nonsense. Hopefully someone with more experience of tort behaviour will have better ideas.
Hi Lyn and many thanks your help, which I appreciate.:D

No, what you said does NOT sound like nonsense. It could be true. ;) Mind you, on Friday it was nice and sunny, so I took him out for a "walk" to see his reaction. He roamed around very happily in the sun.:<3: Today temperature in Amman is ONLY 7 degrees Celcius during the day, and it is expected to drop to ZERO at night.:( And it has been pouring with rain since last night. Now, so long as the central heating system (and of course Oli's bulb) are both on, he falls asleep. Once I put them off to go to bed he wakes up! :rolleyes:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
What are the temperatures inside when it's hot out? 28 C is quite warm for 'extremely cold'. Some tortoises aestivate when it gets too hot. That may be more the inclination you're seeing in Oli.

Sorry, can't tell you now what temperature is like inside, during Summer. But it is extremely hot here during Summer, with temperature reaching 35-40 degrees C outside. It's cooler inside, with fans as well as air conditioners available.

I don't think 28 degrees C is too hot for a tort. Do you? Thanks your help and response.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
An ambient temp of 28C isn't too hot, but it's also not cold enough to trigger inactivity. The indoor temperature is what Oli experiences, so the outdoor does not matter (unless it significantly changes your indoor temperature or humidity, which it might).

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
An ambient temp of 28C isn't too hot, but it's also not cold enough to trigger inactivity. The indoor temperature is what Oli experiences, so the outdoor does not matter (unless it significantly changes your indoor temperature or humidity, which it might).
Thanks very much your help.Appreciate it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'd very much appreciate HELP in the above issue, ASAP!! The thread was posted almost TWO WEEKS ago and only two members were kind enough to answer.

Thank you.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I really don't know. It is natural for people to fall asleep when they are warm and cozy. Maybe Oli is the same. Charlie didn't move for 2 months straight, sitting in his cozy night box. In past winters, when he wasn't kept as warm, he would come out every few days. I was really worried but he has been coming out every day now that it has warmed up and seems fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That was my first thought too...maybe he's warm and comfy and so he sleeps.

Since you've said he no longer hibernates, maybe he's just going through a little slow down period. I really doubt there's anything to worry about. Just wait and see what happens. But in the meantime, double check his habitat, temperatures, etc. to make sure it's all as it is supposed to be. And give him a nice warm soak.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I really don't know. It is natural for people to fall asleep when they are warm and cozy. Maybe Oli is the same. Charlie didn't move for 2 months straight, sitting in his cozy night box. In past winters, when he wasn't kept as warm, he would come out every few days. I was really worried but he has been coming out every day now that it has warmed up and seems fine.

Thanks very much your help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That was my first thought too...maybe he's warm and comfy and so he sleeps.

Since you've said he no longer hibernates, maybe he's just going through a little slow down period. I really doubt there's anything to worry about. Just wait and see what happens. But in the meantime, double check his habitat, temperatures, etc. to make sure it's all as it is supposed to be. And give him a nice warm soak.
Thanks Yvonne. I check Oli's :<3: enclosure each and every day, and give his a nice warm soak daily, as well. :)