Why does my tort wiggle his bum!

Georgie105

Location (City and/or State)
Swansea, UK
Hi everyone :)

I'd really appreciate an answer to this question if anyone has experienced this with their lovely tort!
My male tortoise, Conker, is 8 years old. He has a really great personality and absolutely loves roaming around the house with the family. When he gets to a sofa, he often stretches his legs high and rubs the back of his shell against it over and over. Similarly, when i touch the back of his shell he often likes to do the same thing, rubbing it back and forward. I just want to know if that means its tickly, annoying... or whatever else. I just cant tell what it means! Its a cute little jig though hehe. One other question: how short do you keep your tort's nails? I took mine to the vet fairly recently thinking they'd gotten long, and he said to leave it for a while before cutting them...

Thank you so much for all your help in advance!
bw
Georgie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When he does it himself on and object, that is like them scratching their back. When he does it with your hand touching his back he's telling you: "Get off me! I a male dammit!"

We read about disaster after disaster from people letting their tortoises roam free. It always turns into an argument and hurt feeling one way or another. Just know that this is a very dangerous practice and most of us strongly recommend against it. Tortoises belong in dedicated environments that have been designed and built with their needs and safety in mind.

Just ask the lady who squashed her tortoise's head in the door, or the other lady whose tortoise swallowed a large metal pin... Tortoises don't belong running around loose in a human's "enclosure".

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Long nails are normal. It's only a problem on the wrong substrate. Floors and carpets are not good substrates.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard Tatum does it when ever he goes under a branch, like he's mad it's touching him. He also does it when I scratch his lower back side, again, like he's mad. It's so funny, so I usually do it about once a day:D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata only does this when his "thing" is out. Hee 3 and seems to rub it now that he has control of it.