Why do wild Leopard tortoises have pyramiding?

Octavious22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I've noticed that WILD Leopard tortoises have some pyramiding, I've seen it in photos and videos of wild Leopards in their native habitat. I would love to hear your thoughts on this!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Because they don't burrow like sulcatas . They hide in grass or at the base of a tree . The humidity isn't as high as underground .

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've also heard theories that you never know which ones were caught young, raised by people in their houses/drier backyards then released when they got bigger..
Wild tortoises being picked up by locals happens with box turtles here in America. I don't think it's too far fetched to think it happens in Africa.

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
Because they don't burrow like sulcatas . They hide in grass or at the base of a tree . The humidity isn't as high as underground .
Woah that's exactly what I thought. It makes sense because they are high domed torts, I figured their carapace never really gets wet unless it rains or they soak in a puddle. I thought.. maybe this is why they have some pyramiding going in the wild.

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
I've also heard theories that you never know which ones were caught young, raised by people in their houses/drier backyards then released when they got bigger..
Wild tortoises being picked up by locals happens with box turtles here in America. I don't think it's too far fetched to think it happens in Africa.
Yeah I think that could be true too; but there are too many pictures of pyramided wild torts... I think it's also because they are high domed and they don't burrow. I have yearling tort that I've never seen burrow or dig he just likes to sit on moist sphagnum moss.