Why do Russian Tortoises make high pitched noises when mating?

KatyshaB

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Utah
Maybe your right, and simply the male is begging for acceptance. But once accepted they carry on with the noises. If it was to ward off others and say "I got this one" it would probably be instinct to do that, not even have to see another male. (Probably not that though) I've seen females covering eggs and when the eggs have gone or even the female moved to different area, they still carry on the covering process for an hour or so. So that's instinct.
It maybe even be just to impress.
I think he is showing dominance to subdue the female. Remember, all female animals (except humans) want to mate with the strongest male, so that the genes of that male will go into there babies, hence making stronger babies. So, the male might mount the female to show dominance (also know as, showing off there strength) and because he is showing off how strong he is, the female may or may not want to mate with him depending on how 'strong' his meep may sound. So perhaps it is both showing dominance, AND trying to subdue the female into mating with him.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
First off, I am not saying your wrong I'm just saying we have to understand more of what you mean. So your talking about muscle tense, I can see that happening. But I'm thing is I have NEVER heard Bosley squeak except right when mounting the female. But, if it was muscle tense? Then would it not happen more often? Maybe I've just been in the wrong place and never heard it. Does your tortoise make noise often.
I think it's being lost in translation. I don't know how to say what I mean in a way you will understand. Sorry.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I meant tense as in muscle tense.

If you relax and exhale through you mouth then you breathe out quietly.

Now hold your breath and tense the muscles in your throat. Try to exhale through that tight throat feeling and you make a squeaky noise.

I had assumed that was what was happening but people after me suggest that I am probably wrong.
You may be right. I haven't got a clue really. Kind of hoping someone jumps in and puts our minds to rest. If I pick my males up, when I put them down they make the same clucking noise. Only one or two clucks, but they defo do it. Is this because they have tensed up as they come landing back down to earth from my hands.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Maybe your right, and simply the male is begging for acceptance. But once accepted they carry on with the noises. If it was to ward off others and say "I got this one" it would probably be instinct to do that, not even have to see another male. (Probably not that though) I've seen females covering eggs and when the eggs have gone or even the female moved to different area, they still carry on the covering process for an hour or so. So that's instinct.
It maybe even be just to impress.
begging? They're starting to sound more and more like me everyday. :(

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
if anything the noises are intimidation. Remember a male tortoise even if captive-bred is still a wild animal his instincts are all there. He wants to intimidate the female and possibly scare away other males who might want to mate with her even if he's never seen another male. so perhaps it's two phrases "this is my woman stay away" & "you're my woman"

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
if anything the noises are intimidation. Remember a male tortoise even if captive-bred is still a wild animal his instincts are all there. He wants to intimidate the female and possibly scare away other males who might want to mate with her even if he's never seen another male. so perhaps it's two phrases "this is my woman stay away" & "you're my woman"
I only tried to keep this thread going to read your comic comments, and then you spoil it by makining a serious comment. Lmao
I agree with you though.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I am a moderator I have to be serious once in awhile

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Well, it's because they don't drink alcohol or are in high school, so they brag in the moment.

http://www.tortoise.org/tortcall.html lots of tortoise males do it, and randy females too.

The females have the polished spots on their carapace. They too are vocalizing their happiness that the boy is back in town.

With an "O" face at the end.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well, it's because they don't drink alcohol or are in high school, so they brag in the moment.

http://www.tortoise.org/tortcall.html lots of tortoise males do it, and randy females too.

The females have the polished spots on their carapace. They too are vocalizing their happiness that the boy is back in town.

With an "O" face at the end.

OMG,
Very good Will. Had to watch the "O" bit twice. So funny.
The yellows make a completely different noise than the reds do. Is that natures way of stopping, redfoot/yellowfoot hybrids?
(the yellowfoot sound more like kinixys homeana do).

The more I see and read about the manouria, the more intrigued I get with this species. Am I right in saying this is the species that actually build and guard the nest.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There seem to be a few 'nesting' chelonians out there. Manouria seem to have the most exaggerated (chelonian-wise) nesting 'parental' behavior.

Mating is always a moment of risk for animals, I think without some little bit of hedonism in the mix, well they are extinct, whatever they were. I'm glad most animals are not influenced by puritanical ideologies. I have seen dogs that were probably scolded for their interest in procreation, and looked ashamed when found in the act by their humans.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
if it shells a Rockin don't come a-knockin

KatyshaB

Northern Utah
I only tried to keep this thread going to read your comic comments, and then you spoil it by makining a serious comment. Lmao
I agree with you though.
First off. EVERYBODY here. I did NOT make this thread to share amusement. Yes, I agree. Tortoises mating is very funny but that is NOT what is thread is here for. I am looking for somebody to share there opinion on this mater. This is meant to be serious, now, mind you I'm sounding a little hypocritical here, for I have made some funny comments too. I see that and I will not make anymore. I even have to stop the 'fun' now please, can somebody give me an idea on the matter? (This is not addressed to everybody. But if your here for amusement, your in the wrong place. Thank you)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
First off. EVERYBODY here. I did NOT make this thread to share amusement. Yes, I agree. Tortoises mating is very funny but that is NOT what is thread is here for. I am looking for somebody to share there opinion on this mater. This is meant to be serious, now, mind you I'm sounding a little hypocritical here, for I have made some funny comments too. I see that and I will not make anymore. I even have to stop the 'fun' now please, can somebody give me an idea on the matter? (This is not addressed to everybody. But if your here for amusement, your in the wrong place. Thank you)
Ok. Maybe the amusement went too far.

It seems it's about dominance, the noises happen male to female and male to male. Male to male is defo dominance. When I pick my males up and put them down again they make the same noise. This could also be seen as a frustrated and dominant call. Males may also be warding off other nearby males, and it seems in some species females ward off other females by a display of dominance calls to get their mate.