1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Why do Russian Tortoises make high pitched noises when mating?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by KatyshaB, Apr 11, 2016.

1. KatyshaB

KatyshaB Member

Hi! So recently I have been mating my pair of Russian Tortoises (They are separated now, don't worry) I have noticed that after the male mounts the female, he makes a high pitched squealing noise (This didn't come as a surprise I researched it ahead of time). And Tortoises are generally quiet, so my question is, what gives them an idea to make a noise when mating, is it to assert dominance, is it to try to subdue the female into mating with him? I'm just wondering WHY they do it. Not WHEN they do it.
    jay surfs likes this.
  2. jay surfs

jay surfs New Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Can I nominate this to be made a Sticky?
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Let's wait and see what kind of answers we get first.
    jay surfs likes this.
  4. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 5 Year Member

I imagine the Russian tortoise is asking "who's your daddy?"
    DandR, Pearly, Linhdan Nguyen and 6 others like this.
  5. KatyshaB

KatyshaB Member

Ok first off. What is a sticky? Am I missing something hear? Am I asking a question that bothers people? What is it. If I have done anything offensive or wrong I apologize in advance and please, just try to answer the question and tell me what a 'Sicky' is. I suppose I'm too new to understand what it is. But really, am I missing something?
  6. Yelloweyed

Yelloweyed Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    'Sticky' just means stick it to the top of the forum topic so it's easy to find.
  7. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

No problem with the question. It's actually asked fairly regularly as people who haven't researched find their tort making out with a rock or something.

I have always assumed that the noise isn't actually a vocalisation. It's as if the tort has been holding his breath and a little air escapes through a tense throat. I don't know if I am correct.
    Pearly likes this.
  8. Yvonne G

Media:
    Albums:
    No, I think it's actually a vocalization. You should hear the male Manouria. The first time I heard it I thought someone's cow had escaped and was on the other side of my tortoise yard. It's a low, drawn out moan.
    Anyfoot and JoesMum like this.
  9. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 5 Year Member

I've been known to make a sound similar to that :)
    Pearly, Anyfoot and Yvonne G like this.
  10. Anyfoot

Anyfoot Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    With the redfoots they make a clucking noise just like a chicken whilst moving the head about. From what I've seen when s male mounts another male the mounter does the same clucking and head movements as if he was mounting a female, the only difference is the mounting male doesn't thrust from time to time like he does on a female. So I'm assuming it's sort of a dominance thing.
    My hingeback males make more of a squeal that turns into a sigh nose. No thrusting and no head movements at all, but with mouth wide open, clinging on for dear life. Quite funny to see. So maybe again the noise is dominance.
    Its a good question actually.

Could they be warding off other males maybe?
    Pearly likes this.
  11. Yvonne G

Media:
    Albums:
    The little russians go, "squeak, squeak, squeak" about as fast as you can read the words. While the Manouria goes, "Mooooaaaaaaaannnnnn, moooooooooaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn" (I imagine that's probably how David sounds too.)
    KatyshaB, Pearly and Anyfoot like this.
  12. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member TFO Supporter Platinum Supporter

Albums:
    South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    There is a link of different noises that different tortoises make while "in the mood."
    Pearly and Anyfoot like this.
  13. Pearly

Pearly Well-Known Member

You are too funnnnnyyyy!!!
  14. Pearly

Pearly Well-Known Member

I feel intimidated now by the crowd of you you guys - tort sexuologists but seriously, getting a little baby tort few of us ever prepare for their sexual maturity and mating behaviors. I know I'm not ready to "shock and awe'd" by mine, but lucky for me I still have time... Plus they may be both afterall.
  15. KatyshaB

KatyshaB Member

When I researched how tortoises mate I actually was probably reading about giant tortoises so I read that they moan. So I thought Bosley (My Male Russian Tortoise) would moan, and so I was watching them mate, and I'm like: "Wait for it... Wait for it..." And all that comes out is a 'Meep!' I was a little disappointed !:p
    Linhdan Nguyen likes this.
  16. KatyshaB

KatyshaB Member

Maybe, but one thing about Bosley, is while I have had him he has NEVER seen a another male. Also, he ONLY does it when he mounts her, and from what I have read the males try to subdue the female into opening their tail, (I don't know that it is called) so that the male can then finish the job and get the female fertile, BUT the female has to accept him, so is it maybe they do it because they want to 'impress' the female into mating with him. Or simply to 'force' the female into mating with him. Or maybe like you said, it could just be a sign of dominance.
  17. KatyshaB

KatyshaB Member

Maybe, now I could be wrong, so if I am wrong them somebody correct me. But Russian Tortoises ONLY make noise at the exact time the male is mounting the female. So, if they did this more often, then I would assume that your are correct, and it is just them being tense. But, my tortoises have been through some what you could call 'tense' moments, and they have NEVER squeaked. So before you state your point more you have to tell me what 'tense' means in the Tortoise Kingdom. And how 'tense' it has to be for them to squeak, so if you can, could you please try to tell me that information. (I'm not trying to poke fun at you, I'm intrigued by your argument an I would like to know more, so if you could tell me these things (or can't thats ok too) then that would be a great help for me)
  18. Anyfoot

Anyfoot Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe your right, and simply the male is begging for acceptance. But once accepted they carry on with the noises. If it was to ward off others and say "I got this one" it would probably be instinct to do that, not even have to see another male. (Probably not that though) I've seen females covering eggs and when the eggs have gone or even the female moved to different area, they still carry on the covering process for an hour or so. So that's instinct.
    It maybe even be just to impress.
  19. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

I meant tense as in muscle tense.

If you relax and exhale through you mouth then you breathe out quietly.

Now hold your breath and tense the muscles in your throat. Try to exhale through that tight throat feeling and you make a squeaky noise.

I had assumed that was what was happening but people after me suggest that I am probably wrong.
  20. KatyshaB

KatyshaB Member

First off, I am not saying your wrong I'm just saying we have to understand more of what you mean. So your talking about muscle tense, I can see that happening. But I'm thing is I have NEVER heard Bosley squeak except right when mounting the female. But, if it was muscle tense? Then would it not happen more often? Maybe I've just been in the wrong place and never heard it. Does your tortoise make noise often.