1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Why do my tortoise's legs move when he's resting?

Discussion in 'Tortoise FAQs - New and need help?' started by Fredkas, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredkas

Fredkas Well-Known Member

We hear from Madkins007 that tortoises cannot move their ribcages or diaphragms to breathe, so they 'sag' their limbs in and out. They don't need a lot of air so you don't always notice it. And from Dr. Simon Girling - Turtles and tortoises use their head, neck and limbs as bellows, moving them in and out of the shell to help push air in and out of the lungs.

This is most noticeable in babies, and is perfectly normal, nothing to be worried about.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2016